Using iPad as a control surface

M-Bass-M

Does anybody here have experience of using an iPad as a control surface, particularly with Pro Tools?

I'm thinking of buying an iPad for the house, but I'm wondering if I could also use it in my home studio setup, thus allowing me to sell off my Command|8.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

I came across THIS today...no personal experience and I don't know anyone who's tried it but if it's half as good as it looks....

If yoiu go to the "More" section, it lists all the main DAWs (Protools, Cubase, Reaper, Ableton, Audition, etc. etc.) as working with it.

moresound - how do you find using the iPad for the control of faders and dials instead of using physical controls?

Bobbsy - yup, that was similar to the software I was thinking of using. I'm sure the integration with Pro Tools will be as seamless as you'd expect, I'm just more interested in the ergonomics, i.e. is it just too satisfying moving a physical fader?

I bought the Cubase control app and it works great but crashes my system when I add new tracks. My other complaint is that the faders are small and would prefer a longer throw for more precise rides and automation writing. I hope in future updates they include custom views.

The other one I tried was the V-Control app but I found it very finicky and a mission to get to work properly. Once it work, however, it was great. I liked the long throw faders.

I don't have experience with the AC-7 but for five bucks you can't go wrong. I'm sure it works fine. It looks nice too.

I have been wanting a good controller for a while but haven't gotten round to buying one. I had a Radikal Tech controller but I returned it because I was suspicious that it was about to pack up.

Anyway, I am looking forward to using the iPad when I mix to write automation and get balances, etc. I feel it will help bring my digital studio together. Plus it's a great remote for when you're recording yourself.

Cheers :)

Bobbsy - yup, that was similar to the software I was thinking of using. I'm sure the integration with Pro Tools will be as seamless as you'd expect, I'm just more interested in the ergonomics, i.e. is it just too satisfying moving a physical fader?

Well...personally I don't much like touch screens at the best of times but others love them. However, I'd rather be able to grab a handful of faders or feel when I'm on a button without having to look! I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

Hmmm...wonder if we oldies might end up with a "real buttons and faders" forum along the lines of the Analogue Only one?

I use my iphone with Cubase, just for punching in and out. It does more but I don't need all the other stuff. Me likey. :D

But ProTools?? Wouldn't have a clue. ;)

I use Wireless Mixer on my Android Galaxy Tab to control Reaper. Works great apart from it only has 12 faders max sadly. The transport controls are great though. For a free product it has it's uses.

It'll do until I get my hands on a real desk.

So I bought the AC-7 and so far it's pretty easy and works well. Had to download a network MIDI app called rtpMIDI so that it will see the network MIDI ports but it was trouble free. It has a latency of about 2ms but that's fine. Took about five minutes to get working in Reaper. I will probably be using this app in place of the Cubase app because I like the longer faders, as I mentioned.

Go the 21st Century tactility.

Cheers :)

I have both an ipad with cubase control pro and a mackie control universal. I really like the tactile feel of an actual fader and like someone else said I'm not fond of using the app to control cubase for much more than headphone mixes and recording in another room away from the desk.

I came across THIS today...no personal experience and I don't know anyone who's tried it but if it's half as good as it looks....

If yoiu go to the "More" section, it lists all the main DAWs (Protools, Cubase, Reaper, Ableton, Audition, etc. etc.) as working with it.

Hmmm I might take the plunge on that one soon! Been looking for something to let me punch in/out of recording when I'm not at the desk.

Back