Using FL Studio inside another DAW for drums

GotHemi

I would like to use FL Studio, specifically it's browser, to quickly scroll through my different drum packs & then send each drum hit to a mixer channel for separate EQ, where I would trigger them using the FPC drum plugin using my Master Keyboard controller, the Akai MPK249.

But for sequencing & recording soft synths & hardware synths, I would like to use either Reaper or Cubase, because they have a legit punch-in & pre-roll system for both play & record modes.

So if I were to try and run FL Studio like this, inside either Reaper or Cubase as the Host DAW..... would the different drum parts/channels in FL Studio show up in the Host DAW as separate audio channels or would they all be merged into something like a single stereo track? (kick from FL Studio=channel 1 in Reaper / snare from FL Studio=channel 2 in Reaper, etc.)

Also, if I wanted to hear whatever else I have sequenced inside the host DAW, along with my drums from FL Studio, would I have to hit play first in the host DAW, then switch to FL Studio and play my drums? If I only hit play inside of FL Studio, I would only hear whatever I had going on inside FL, correct?

Good question. Unfortunately I haven't a clue.

There is a way 'at least in Cubase' to 'rewire' with another DAW. But I do not think that is what you wish to do. Or maybe it is...

Most DAW's are going to use only one ASIO driver at a time, so that makes it almost impossible to pull off what you are suggesting. But then I may have misunderstood and/or haven't a clue like I stated earlier.

Sorry I can't be more help here.

Best! :)

Sorry though, I have to ask. You say Cubase has legit punch-in & pre-roll system. You talking about Cubase 5 or newer version?

well i'm not sure about Cubase and the punch in system, but I tried Reaper out for a little bit on my brother's computer and figured out the click in system in just a few minutes and works really well. it's a pain in FL Studio, because the only built-in way is to use the "wait" feature, where FL Studio then "waits" for any input signal to be played, which then starts the sequencer. once you finish playing or recording you have to turn "wait" off. it becomes like this back & forth turning on, turning off procedure that gets pretty tiring during a session.

and as far as the metronome click in, it only works for when you turn on recording, not for normal playback & previewing of patches. ie you load up a patch & want to play along with the song you have so far & would like a 1-measure click in to get prepared to play along without recording, just playing... you can't in FL Studio apparently. only works in record mode.

I know that all of RME's drivers are multi-client, but I'm not entirely sure about these DAW's. I feel like they are, but I'm not entirely sure.

It sucks because I can't try it on my computer and I don't have access to another PC to try this out on.

I'll keep searching though, no worries!

Back