Using a analog mixer with a computer.

Rassoodocks

Hi. I'm an old member that hasn't posted here in ages because all the advice i got off here was so good, i haven't had a SINGLE problem with my aardvark 24/96. However, i've since considered getting a mixer and recording using that. My knowledge of mixers is limited so, i may pose a few stupid questions, but i've got to start somewhere. So, my question is, if i get something like the behringer ub2442fx mixer how will i get the individual tracks onto my pc? I know i can take the master outs and plug them into the aardvark analog ins and then get two mono files via the master bus, but i want to do all the mixing on my computer, very similar to how the aardvark works. The reason i want to do this is a) For the better sounding mic pre's and B) the ease of use in adjusting levels and so forth and c) more ins.

So yeah, that's my question, i don't know how i could patch in each individual track out of the mixer and on to the pc. If my idea is cumbersome or stupid, can someone please offer their knowledge as i'm open to ideas.

Sounds like you're aardvark is a 2-input card?

To get multiple tracks into your PC you need a multi input card like the delta1010LT - this will do 8 tracks at once.

Also, I'd stay away from the fx versions of mixers as their digital effects can be rough and /or cheezy. Get a non-fx version, and apply effects in the PC using plugins. Also check out the yamaha MG range of mixers. They're a step up in quality from the behringers

thanks a lot for the reply, that sounds like a great idea. I agree with the built in fx, plug ins are a lot better than onboard stuff i've found ie: on board aardvark fx.

Back