The use of mixer for computer recording???

jelly

I'm plan to buy Delta/66 card and want to find a mixer to use with it.. mainly for preamp.. but I don't know if I can get more use from the mixer. well, there're many questions so I'll break it like this :
1. while Delta/66 has only 4 analog inputs, if I buy a 8 inputs mixer , is there any advantage than 4 inputs mixer? If it possible to record drums set from 6 mics at the same time? And how can it send through 4 inputs-only card?

2. If it possible, I have to use submix? Is this mean I can mix from 6 ins to 4 outs from the mixer? How to do it?

3. What is the diffirence between a mixer that have Alt 3-4 and the one that don't have?

4. What else can I get from the mixer using with computer recording? Can I control those level, pan , in cakewalk via my mixer? if my mixer doesn't have automation..

5. Can you give me some recommendation about choosing a mixer.. Now I'm interesting in Behringer MX2004 and Spirit Folio F1.

oh, this post is very long.. anyway thanks a lot..

well theres definetly advantages to more channels i think , but really u have to look at whether youll use them all.
Routing six mics from a drum kit into your 4 inputs is quite an easy task. As an example , you said you were looking at behringer , so ill use the mixer im using right now , its the mx2642A (16 chan , 4 stereo , direct outs on the 8 mono chans. ) a great mixer i think . Well i would keep the snare and the kick on seperate tracks. Then i would pan your o/heads left and right , depending how u like it (perspective)
and send them to bus 1 + 2. Now the toms i would pan the small tom hard left with the left o/head and same with the floor tom and rout these to bus 1 + 2. The middle tom i would pan quarter pan each way on bus 1 + 2.
I hope that all makes sense ..
I believe there are a lot of advantages to a desk like this , and certainly much bigger .. You are able to direct sound in a studio environment with quite ease... anyway good luck with the mixer ... Hey about the automation , best to do all that in something like logic i find .. i havent used cakewalk so i dont know if it has automation .. does it ? anyway let us know how u go with the mixer ....

Spider

You might also have a CD player, cassette player, and other input sources. The mixer is a handy place to route anything in your studio that makes noise. Figure out how many channels you think you need, and double it. I very rarely use all the channels on my mixer... but I've been sooooo happy I had them when I needed them.

Thanks a lot ,Spider. Now I quite get some more perspective about mixer. About routing. It depend on how many bus does the mixer has , am i right? If the mixer has 4 bus this mean I can merge or route signal out from the mixer 4 seperate channels?
So how can I know how many buses does MX2004 has?

About automation , I think Cakewalk also support automation but what I don't know is how to let mixer talk to Calkwalk?

Sorry, I just went to Behringer website and just found out about bus number.. The MX2642 has 4 bus, while MX2004 has 2+2 bus.. (It has ALT 3-4). That makes me confuse.. What's diffirence between 4 bus and 2+2 bus?
Will MX2004 do the job for me? Because it has only Mainmix and Alt3-4 how can I control the output to ch. 1-4 of my soundcard?
Also, I don't think 2004 has seperate direct output like 2642. But can I use channel inserts to archive the same thing? What's the use of direct output anyway?

[This message has been edited by jelly (edited 07-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jelly (edited 07-05-2000).]

your computer wont actually be able to talk to your mixer (their only mixers , not people!!) There are a few things out there that can be automated from your pc ... im sure they would cost a fortune though..but they look pretty cool.. they even come with a built in mouse pad sorta thingy.....but apparently u can set the volume levels on your pc , then the mixer will continue to carry these fader movements out every time that particular song is played back.. could someone please correct me if im way wrong , k ... im not that well up with these things .. anyway good luck all
spider

direct outs will give u exactly what the name of the output states .. it will give you a direct output from that channel.... meaning all the values are determined by that particular channel... i would go with the 2642A , i have one , i think its great ... but just think ahead , even if u wont use all the inputse now , u may need them all soon ... Ive found myself looking at getting another mixer now because ive ran out inputs .... oh well!!!!

Back