USB Soundcards?

nroberts

I am wondering if these things are worth anything. My computer is developing some hassles and really to tune it up to where I want I would be replacing a lot of it. Most of the fans, the PS, the soundcard, etc. I also wouldn't mind getting rid of the CRT. So I was thinking of maybe looking at laptops. But you can't exactly get a high quality soundcard and replace the onboard. Are USB soundcards decent enough to use at an ameture level? I do need it to be pretty much latency free, enough so I don't notice as I listen to mp3 and/or mixing sessions and record myself playing with them. I always worry that USB would be too slow, but I hear that some of these actually work ok. What is the concensus here?

How about firewire? Although USB is pretty decent, (USB 2.0) Firewire is always a better option if you can. I have the Presonus Firebox and its great. No troubles with latency at all. The firebox is only small, record up to 6 channels. But if you needed more than that you can get the firepod?

Have a look at some firewire sound cards here: http://www.dv247.com/icat/firewiresoundcardsaudioin

Good luck!

Back