USB Mixer or USB Audio Interface with 8 XLR inputs - recommendations

The Spangle

I own an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 FX and what I love about it is that it comes with a driver that maps each of the mixer's channels to a separate track in my DAW (Cubase LE). So if I plug in 4 mics when recording drums, each mic will map to its own track in the DAW.

However, I am finding it increasingly limiting to only have 4 XLR inputs in the mixer. I want to add more mics to the kit, and keep the guitar/bass mics plugged in all the time to save keep yanking them in/out when switching between recording drums and guitars.

So I'm looking for another USB mixer, or a USB audio interface, that has at least 8 XLR inputs, and which has a driver that will map all 8 XLR inputs to separate tracks in my DAW.

Recommendations ... under say $500 - $600?

Thanks

I am not much of a mixer fan at the hobby level. I have the older version of this: Amazon.com: TASCAM US-16x08 USB Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

But that should give you an idea of where to start. In your range, you could probably go a bit higher level to get better pre-amps. This works fine at my level. I saw some reviews where it doesn't work with Win7, but I know this isn't true, I think those reviews were a lot of user errors.

This to me, would be a good starting point. For a mixer, your price/bang for your buck goes higher.

Thank you both, this looks like a perfect suggestion. I use none of the FX or EQ on the mixer and so will not miss them in an audio interface. I mentioned the $500 - $600 budget thinking I may have to pony up that amount. At this price I am happy. Good call, thanks.

Just for the record, read the specs of any mixer on your short list. I can only think of one mixer that has more than a simple stereo output on USB (and it's in a price tag in the thousands, not hundreds range). They tend to hide this fact so you often have to dig.

...so, based on that, I'll +2 the suggestion of that Tascam interface.

Back