USB Microphone or Interface?

dannieboiz

first off, I like to recording vocals as a hobby and friends would come over for a karaoke night and it turns out to be a recording studio mess around night.

I have an MXL USB.006 that I bought years ago and to be honest, we only do this recording thing once in a blue moon but it's fun and nice to have. However, I do want to record quality sound. There's something missing with the MXL that I have.

I have a set of Shure PGX4 wireless mic which is essentially theSM58 wireless. was thinking if I should get a USB interface and use it with the sure or get a decent USB microphone that I can drag out once in awhile and record relatively decent vocal tracks?

I read some online reviews and it seems the Blue Spark Digital is a decent mic to consider. Any one using a USB mic that they're happy with that can recommend?

I'm not aware of a USB Mic that will outperform a proper XLR (SM58, etc). My vote is to get the interface. Plus, if you do end up wanting to do a bit more most interfaces will be up to the task of running ASIO drivers that will perform adequately for multitracking, etc. The USB Mic is a one trick pony.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone around here who would warm up to USB mics, except maybe podcasters.

Back