USB interface + ADAT... monitors & latency help

GotHemi

Happy holidays!

I've never used ADAT or USB interfaces, only analog mixers recorded to tape, so I've been reading a lot about them, but I need some help.

If I had two Tascam Celesonic US-20x20 USB 3.0 interfaces... where the 1st was connected to the PC via USB 3.0 and it had my speaker monitors plugged into it and the 2nd Celesonic was acting as standalone with no PC connection..... if I connected the two together via optical I/O... would the gear connected to the 2nd one have their audio played through the monitors that would be plugged into the 1st Tascam?

And also what about latency? If I wanted to multitrack gear connected to both units all at the same time, would there be latency from the Optical I/O?

Here is a mock draw up I made for how I'd 'like' to have work: http://oi65.tinypic.com/123pefr.jpg

TASCAM Celesonic US-20x20 USB 3.0 Audio Interface | Sweetwater.com

The short answer is a firm 'I think so'. lol

Yeah it looks like the unit can be used as an ADAT (optical) slave unit. In which case its inputs would be sent to the main unit via the optical cable.

I do find it odd that 'ADAT' is not stated, but that is what it is. So, yes the second 'slave' unit should basically be a fully functioning preamp that sends it's individual channels outputs via optical cable to the main 'USB connected interface' one. I am sure there is a setup involved to get them to know 'who is the boss of everything, and who is the slave'. Ugh...That just didn't sound cool at all...lol

I do exactly the same with my two Steinberg UR824's. I also have a third unit (ADA8000) ADAT preamp for 24 total channels with the 824. Never really need more than 16 but on occasion adding a drummer talkback mic, second guitar scratch, or whatever musicians just want a mic while tracking it has been used.

A good idea to sync them with BNC cables as well as the ADAT connection. Actually for $5 cables, don't bother to forget. :)

Oh and optical has no latency. Not enough to measure for audio anyway. The converters in the main USB connection and the computer you use will introduce that.

Does the manual mention anyting about passing the ADAT input channels on as normal tracks? Seems like it ought to treat them that way.

Does the manual mention anyting about passing the ADAT input channels on as normal tracks? Seems like it ought to treat them that way.

I didn't pull up the manual but the documentation from Tascam was kind of vague... I would assume they are, and hope the mixer/direct monitoring DSP software works when a second unit is connected via optical.

It appears that it does via the mixer so...

The reason I purchased two $700 824's was so that I knew I could use them without conflict with Cubase. I just hate conflict....

Ok, Some Googling....

THIS describes it. Seems we all need to move on with terminology... Shit, I am getting old or something....

Hey thank you guys very much! I've seen the Behringer ADA8200 for aobut 1/2 the price of the Tascam, but I don't know if it would "sound" different than the Tascam, to act as a "slaved" unit connected optical to the main Tascam.

I'm torn between going this route with the 2 connected units & getting them to sync/work together or getting an older Firewire Mackie 1620i.

The Mackie is analog & can be used without a computer with onboard EQ & aux, etc.... but the Tascam route is USB 3.0 and the EQ/FX could be done on the PC.

I'm trying to figure the best way to apply FX to my hardware synths & get them all recorded with the least amount of hassle, lag/latency as possible.

Again.. thank you guys!

Hardware synths? Then you may need to make sure the interface you choose has MIDI in/thru. My 824's would leave you screwed.

Message member here; kcearl LINK

If he is in the mood, he is the one to talk about hardware synths. Pretty sure he owns all of them....

Back