USB inout device for recording on iMac

Brentandang

I just got an iMac that has no FireWire inputs. I have an apogee duet but need more than 2 inputs. I looked at the personus 16 channel but it only uses FireWire. Any recommendations of a different device to use to record via USB to the computer?

Hi there,
What model of imac do you have? Is it very old?
If it's new it should have thunderbolt which carries firewire.

I'd recommend confirming that. Mac + firewire usually work very nicely together.

I am using a brand new iMac with USB inputs as well. I sent back a PreSonus unit because it was noisy and had lousy latency problems. Currently am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and very happy with it. They make similar units with more inputs.

Absolutely, the Tascam US1800 is a nice unit (what I'm currently using), The Scarlett 18i20 is similar. Or you could simply step up to the Apogee Quartet and go with what you know. Others of interest, Mackie's Blackbird is outsanding, Steinberg's 824, or RME's Babyface is also an outstanding piece of kit. Research. Budget. Choose.

I just got an iMac that has no FireWire inputs. I have an apogee duet but need more than 2 inputs. I looked at the personus 16 channel but it only uses FireWire. Any recommendations of a different device to use to record via USB to the computer?

Just use a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter. Should be fine.

(I'm assuming it isn't one of the original 1998 or early 1999 iMacs, which AFAIK were the only iMacs that lacked FireWire and didn't have Thunderbolt. If I'm wrong, though, I think there were ways to adapt the Mezzanine slot into a PCI slot, and you could probably then adapt a low-profile FireWire PCI card to fit it....)

Back