USB/Firewire interface - multiple inputs

sixer2007

So, I'm currently using an Alesis io2 express as an interface. The problem is, it only has 2 inputs which makes drum tracking (each mic to it's own daw channel) pretty much impossible. With this, I can only get the drums onto a single stereo track at best, which is making my tunes sound super amateur.

Could i get some opinions about an interface that has something like 4 to 8 mic inputs with preamps? What do other home recording people use for this situation?

I have a Presonus Firestudio that has 8 inputs and great preamps for the money. They run about $400 and it's a firewire interface. I love the thing to death and wouldn't use anything else unless I decided to go into music production full-time. For home recording...I'd put it up there with the best under a grand...

M-Audio makes some useful stuff.
If you would like to use a USB interface, check out the Fast Track Pro & Fast track Ultra.
If you're thinking of using a Firewire device, there are some underlying issues that may be troublesome in the long run. From personal experience, I can tell you that even after purchasing an M-Audio ProFire 610, purchasing the Siig ExpressCard FireWire adapter (suggested by Avid/M-Audio) and following the suggestions on the M-Audio user forum...I still never got the ProFire 610 to function. In fact, the suggested adapter didn't work as well as one of the less-expensive versions.

My old keyboard player had similar issues with a Focusrite Saffire PRO14 unit and has laptop. I don't know if he was using an adapter, or if he had a dedicated FireWire port.

Back