USB Audio interface to remove unwanted noise

mythix

)I'm thinking about replacing my PCI audio interface with a USB one for a couple of reasons. The first is grounding in my PC, I'm hearing clicks and hissing when the GUI is doing work, like dragging windows etc... (on win7 64bit)

The second reason is that I want to shut down my PC without my active speakers (krk vxt6) popping -very- loud. But i've read on other forums that the M-audio fast strack pro does not prevent this from happening, is this something most interfaces ignore?
I was thinking about getting the upcomming roland quad capture, but since it has not arrived yet, I cant search for users having the problem...

setup info: (mobo: asrock z68 / cpu: i7 2600 / pci audio: m-audio audiophile192)

Every interface I've used pops the speakers.
You just need to do this:

On powerup, turn on the speakers last.
On powerdown, turn the speakers off first.

What Tim said... you could put your speakers on a separate power lead if this makes it easier or reach around and turn them off... you weren't gonna leave them on all night were you? tsk tsk tsk global warming :)

lol @ global warming, I'll buy a prius to compensate :)

I don't understand why this could not be possible, since the Roland quad capture is connected via usb, it could receive a signal from the pc when it's shutting down, ignoring all input coming through after it...

@tim "every interface I've used" does not say very much, have you used usb powered ones? have you used roland gear? maybe even the quad capture?

btw, apparently the quad capture is available for retail, I've just misread it i guess... but not much to find on the internet covering this topic...
Also, Ive istalled a new graphics card (gtx560Ti) and when it's under heavy load, the crosstalk is unbearable now! (it sucks lots of power, has 2 power supplies...)

It is always good practice to turn off power amps (monitors) before any source is turned off in every situation. Last on as well. My Tascam 1641 however, never causes a pop when shutting down. Turning on however, there is a slight one. I just ran a switch to the front of my desk for monitors so power is easily accessible.

I always thought that turning off the speakers before shutting all else down was a pretty common practice in order to avoid blowing the speakers or just unwanted noise.
You want to help curb global warming don't you? Come on, get with the Al Gore rhythm!

Finally got the interface today, and I'm glad to say my issues have all been solved. I think stuff has evolved from the 80's Tim, This one shuts down without popping... just what I was looking for.
I've also hooked up my v-drums and the latency is amaizing, much much better then the audiophile 192... Also the latency on my usb keyboard improved slightly.
Had to wait a couple of weeks before it came in, but i'm a happy customer so far.

congrats....
yes, i suppose the interfaces have evolved.

i did the similar move, pci to usb 2.0.

the USB has shown to be much more enjoyable when swapping computers or going mobile for sure.

Back