USB audio interface

ex351d

I am looking for a budget 8 channel USB audio interface. Preferably allows future expansion for another 4/8 channel mic preamps. I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. Any other good competition to this interface? I would be using it with a PC.

I am looking for a budget 8 channel USB audio interface. Preferably allows future expansion for another 4/8 channel mic preamps. I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. Any other good competition to this interface? I would be using it with a PC.

There is the Presonus AB 1818 which has 8 mic inputs and ADAT. The Roland Octocapture, 8 mics again but the only expansion is two more inputs via S/PDIF.

After that I think you are looking at MOTU and RME and wonga goes up. Nice! But pricey.

Have you checked out the AI seekers sticky?

Dave.

The US 1800 offers that expansion. Beside the 8 mic inputs, there are six line inputs (two of them switchable to guitar) and a stereo digital, making a total of 16 available channels.

It'd be hard to beat for the money.

(I'm kicking myself...our local pawnshop had one on the shelf dirt cheap...I hummed and hahed and went home...but when I went back the next day it was gone.)

I suppose that would be based on whether the OP was asking for 4 to 8 channels of mic preamps or adding four eight channel preamps. Is that even possible to add 32 channels of ADAT to a 8 channel interface? Especially a 'budget' USB one?

The US 1800 offers that expansion. Beside the 8 mic inputs, there are six line inputs (two of them switchable to guitar) and a stereo digital, making a total of 16 available channels.

It'd be hard to beat for the money.

(I'm kicking myself...our local pawnshop had one on the shelf dirt cheap...I hummed and hahed and went home...but when I went back the next day it was gone.)

Yup, nearly suggested it myself but 6 channel mic pres are rare and there are few with S/PDIF out (only the excellent Mico comes to mind). Whereas the new Behringer ADA unit is said to be PDGood for the money and there are of course better ADAT pres.

Dave.

BTW, the 1800 is replaced by the 16x08 which starts to ship in March. Gains 4 outputs, loses SPDIF
1800 will probably still be available for a while, though if you'd like the SPDIF instead of the extra outs.

Two competitors come to mind. The PreSonus 1818VS (basically the same idea with more front panel access) and the MOTU 8Pre (which has no front panel inputs...both have optical in/out and the 1818 has sync if you're dealing with lots of units daisy chained which the MOTU does not, but the Focusrite does.
Now bear in mind that the 18i20 is shipping with the free Red plugs right now, so that is value added...

I looked at the US1800 it is quite cheaper than the Scarlett but I am not sure about the quality of the preamps. I looked at the motu 8 pre too, this unit is slightly more expensive than the scarlett but could stretch my budget if there is a huge difference in quality. The roland is more expensive than the scarlett but is more limited in terms of expansion. The Presonus is about the same specifications as the scarlett and at the same price.

What unit would you suggest?

I looked at the US1800 it is quite cheaper than the Scarlett but I am not sure about the quality of the preamps. I looked at the motu 8 pre too, this unit is slightly more expensive than the scarlett but could stretch my budget if there is a huge difference in quality. The roland is more expensive than the scarlett but is more limited in terms of expansion. The Presonus is about the same specifications as the scarlett and at the same price.

What unit would you suggest?

It very much depends on how far up the foodchain the rest of the studio will go. Are you for instance contemplating $5000 a pair monitors? Getting professional help with control room treatment? If not and this is going to remain a projjy, hobby enterprise then the US 1800 is not going to be the weakest link re quality (and I have not even mention chops or skill!).

For sure, spend as much as you can but don't put a silk purse in a sow's stye.

Maybe I owe Bobbsy an apology? Thinking about it you could get by with the 8 channels on the 1800 for now then spend out on one or two REALLY tasty mic pres later?

Dave.

Pick any. They are all top flight, have strong drivers, good preamps. Figure out how much you need on the front and how much you need in the back panel. The MOTU was a deal breaker for me, not based on price, but on the fact that there are no front jacks...unusable in a rack mount in my situation. If your budget says 500, pick the Focusrite or the Presonus (depending on whether you need just two jacks on the front or you want a bunch for flexibility). OTOH, if you'll have easy access to the back of the unit (mine's in a closed space up against a wall) the Focusrite will be just fine.

Hey Ken!
With a pre-punched 1U panel and gaggle of XLR connectors, bit 'o' wire and a night's sloderrin' you've got the stuff on the front!

Dave.

Good idea! But I did get the 1800 so I'd have my attachments on the front. :) To do over, I'd have probably saved a few more dollars and got the 1818VSL...I'll skip over that if I ever upgrade and grab RME or something similar, maybe just a nice set of pres.

It almost goes without saying that if you want to achieve the best possible computer recording and playback quality, you're going to have to spend a significant amount of money on your audio interface.

I appreciate that you mean well. But you may not be getting the vibe of this website.
Putting "best possible" in your post may make it a true statement, but this is Home Recording. We're not looking for the "best possible". Most here are looking for a great sound on a hobbyist budget.
To some putting $5-10k per year into this is their hobby budget. Others are just looking to put in a minimum and get their feet wet. To indicate you've got to spend huge to get good sound is not really what this site needs.
The US 1800 is a great piece of kit. Don't get me wrong. It does the job. Like I hinted in my previous post, a good set of pres will overcome it's one deficit.

I appreciate that you mean well. But you may not be getting the vibe of this website.
Putting "best possible" in your post may make it a true statement, but this is Home Recording. We're not looking for the "best possible". Most here are looking for a great sound on a hobbyist budget.
To some putting $5-10k per year into this is their hobby budget. Others are just looking to put in a minimum and get their feet wet. To indicate you've got to spend huge to get good sound is not really what this site needs.
The US 1800 is a great piece of kit. Don't get me wrong. It does the job. Like I hinted in my previous post, a good set of pres will overcome it's one deficit.

As you well noted, I am not seeking the best but just at least get the most out of what I can afford. Mostly I would be recording myself and my band. Occasionally I hope I will record a local band.

As you well noted, I am not seeking the best but just at least get the most out of what I can afford. Mostly I would be recording myself and my band. Occasionally I hope I will record a local band.

I use an 1800 as a part of my portable rig. I have it an a Gator bag with a power strip and pre-amp and the Gator bag opens in front and back. Slap my laptop(cheap laptop just for tracking, mix back on a better computer and better room) in the pocket and I am off to record bands. 16 inputs I have at my disposal. Most of those are for drums, but I will be honest, Drums I will be working on a different approach. Two overheads, kick and snare. Micing the toms are a waste so far. They are rarely played and when they are, seems I can get the sound from them from the overheads or from the snare mic.

Main point here is, Tascam1800 will get you pretty decent quality for your level. After a few years learning how to record, you may want to move up, but there are so many other areas you will need to get better at, the quality of your equipment (at this level) is your least concern. For the start, stay down around $500 mark, invest in good mics (these will be there forever), learn how to record go from there. I haven't read all of the posts, but I have an idea of what was recommended and I am confident they are all quality machines.

Back