UR44 issue -tearing me hair out.

I'm trying to do something quite simple, play my mix while referencing a track through my computer media player.
Easy right? Not since I got the UR44 it isnt.

I have Cubase set up with control room, Mix L1 and R1 go to my monitors, Mix L2 and R2 to the headphones, the headphones come out
of the UR44 phone 2 jack.
My monitors happily play the Cubase track and the computer audio but the headphones only get the Cubase track.

Is there a way of sending the computer audio to Mix 2 or any other workaround? I seem to have tried every combination possible with the channel strip. I can physically route my Emu 0404 with cables to the UR44 but it's not the best solution, bit of noise etc.

Help!

Not familiar with the UR44, but you only have two outputs right? I am not sure you have the ability to separate the headphone out as a separate out from Control Room.

Does the UR44 have the DSPMixFX program? If so, maybe try to change the input/output there.

I can choose from many in/outs with the UR824, but that is a different animal.

Hope you can figure that out but I kind of doubt it. :(

That is the reason for purchasing an interface with more input/output abilities.

What is the default output device in Windows Control Panel app?

I guess another question is why not just send Mix 1 to both monitors and phones? It seems like system audio is routed to Mix 1 and there’s either no way to change that or it’s undiscovered.

What is the default output device in Windows Control Panel app?

I guess another question is why not just send Mix 1 to both monitors and phones? It seems like system audio is routed to Mix 1 and there’s either no way to change that or it’s undiscovered.

You cant do that - the headphone mix is routed through a different set of outputs.
The reason I need this is because I am using Sonarworks Ref 4. The calibration on the monitors is different from the headphone calibration so I need two sets of different audio.

cr.JPG

So yeah, you won't be able to do that. Cubase only allows one audio driver at a time so you are limited to the in's and out's you have available on the interface. I used to have a Tascam US1800 that would allow digital input from PC, but that was still from a separate computer.

Maybe a possibility to use ASIO4All? I never used it but it worth a shot. Your latency with shoot up however from what I have heard... Just looking for possibilities to try.

I am able to do such as I have two computers and a Mackie Big Knob monitor controller so I can listen to any other source while recording.

Sorry I couldn't be more help man...

You cant do that - the headphone mix is routed through a different set of outputs.
The reason I need this is because I am using Sonarworks Ref 4. The calibration on the monitors is different from the headphone calibration so I need two sets of different audio....
Well, you didn't actually answer my question about how the computer system's audio appears in the input and is then routed via the software. If it's going to the monitors, it's clearly been assigned an input and that input is routed to the monitors. Where is the input to outputs routing done? It seems that the system sounds are not being treated the same way on the input side as the DAW's output, which is hard to comprehend, unless the system audio is skipping going through the routing software.

An alternative is to just put your reference into the DAW, i.e., as a track in your project, and alternate solo/mute to compare it to your mix.

I have to say it, so glad I don't use Windows for this stuff anymore.

Found a work around.
I linked the L and R outputs of my PCi 0404 into 3 and 4 in of the UR44 and set the system audio to the Emu.
Added a stereo input to Cubase and switched on track monitor - hey presto it works.
It's not an elegant solution but it will get me by until Steinberg answer my support ticket - which may be never at the rate their support works.

Thanks all for your help:)

I have the UR22 and never had this problem, if I want to quickly reference something while mixing, and don't want to drag it into the actual session, I just open the folder, double click, and Windows Media Player plays it with no issues, while my ProTools session is still open. Is that all you're doing and it doesn't work without your workaround? Not sure I understand, your DAW might have a different I/O setup than ProTools though.

Back