UR242 Direct Monitoring with non-Cubase Applications

LeoMusic

While researching Steinberg UR22 I came across UR242. Both units suite my digital recording needs as far as number of inputs and outputs, preamps, etc. But UR242 adds some cool live hardware DSP effects, which I can occasionally use for live signing along with karaoke minus tracks.

UR22 has hardware knob for zero-latency-monitoring, which (as I understand), allows controlling balance of volume between the AI inputs and the sound from computer (such as minus karaoke tracks).

UR242 does not have a hardware knob for zero-latency-monitoring. I thought that the same functionality could be achieved with dspMixFx software, which comes with UR242. However the user manual for UR242 mentions Direct Monitoring function with Cubase software, but does not mention Direct Monitoring in dspMixFx software. The manual does not mention how can I control the balance of sounds volume coming from computer and from AI inputs for monitoring purposes.

This brings me to my question. On UR242, can I achieve zero-latency “live” mix on my monitors between the tracks being played back by computer and the AI inputs? Can I achieve it without a Cubase (or any DAW software), e.g. wile playing back sound track with Windows Media Player and singing along these tracks into a microphone?

A separate question, would I be able to install dspMixFx software on several Windows computers? I was surprised to find out, that on Windows dspMixFx has to be activated with eLicenser. If I cannot use dspMixFx on multiple Windows computers, I will get UR22 instead.

Back