Upgrading The Soundcard

Baal

Hey there,

I've been using the M-Audio Fast Track (Amazon link) for quite a while now and so I wanted to make a step forward and replace it with a more efficient model. I could probably be able to spend up to 300 bucks but that's just speculation since where I live things are way more expensive when imported and neither I have access to digital shops like Amazon for a number of reasons. Anyway, my main concern is the sound quality and not the multiplicity of ports, because I'm alright with one guitar/mic port. The sound quality, especially when it comes to recording bass guitar is average and at times the Fast Track struggles even in keeping the sound tidy, which means clean guitar recording is a bit of a mixed bag, though the distorted guitars sound just fine (and not spectacular). So, any suggestions?

P.S. I use Cubase (5.1.0), and for the most part record the guitars/bass directly thru the soundcard and use the mic (Rode M1-S) for recording vocals and acoustic instruments.

Before buying another interface, figure out why you're having problems with what you have. There shouldn't be any reason you're having bass tracking issues. Not sure what you mean by 'keeping the sound tidy'. Are you tracking too loudly? Turn the input control on the M-A down, and track in the -18dB to -12dB range.

I haven't experienced any "problems" with the device; all I'm saying is that the quality of the recorded material isn't that great and I'm positive I've heard far better digitally recorded music. Now, I know many of those must have gone thru mastering process for getting there but I'm also certain there are better devices out there than the Fast Track which as a result cost more.

I'm not sure what you perceive as a problem with the quality of the sound. You don't really clarify exactly what you mean. The Fast Track........like most audio interfaces in that price range.......and even much higher.......is not likely to degrade your sound to the point where upgrading your AI will make much if any difference. As previously advised.......stop and make sure the other factors in your recording are not the issue. I suggest that you post a sample for us to help you with.

Once more, there are no issues of any sort; I've been using it for more than two years. But if you're certain the other choices with higher price-tag would provide similar quality (not referring to my personal experience, but rather on paper and technically speaking), then I would be doubting digital recording as whole. Not here to debate your knowledge of this, but you do realize the Fast Track is an entry level model, don't you?

what people are trying to tell you here is that, at the interface technology level, your gains will be marginal. Yes, you could get some improvements, but not even sure you could hear them. Your gains will be from, room, mics, pre-amps, etc.

You would get better performance maybe with higher end gear, faster processing more options with outboard gear. But your recordings are not going to get better until your recording chain gets better (other factors than interface)

Yeah, just switching interfaces isn't going to yield a significant difference in results. There are so many other facets to the audio equation before the interface comes into play. I used to have the extreme high end converter (Lavry's) and the extreme low end converter (Phonic) and there wasn't a lot of difference. Yes, there was some, but not enough to justify the price difference.

You should be looking at other things before thinking of buying a new interface.

1 the song
2 the performance/performer
3 Instruments/Amps/ Sound Source
4 Mix Eng experience
5 Mics
6 Room they're recorded in
7 Room they're mixed in.
8 Studio monitors.
9 mic pre-amps
10 Processors and usage.
11 converter/interface.
12 DAW
13 etc...

Yeah, just switching interfaces isn't going to yield a significant difference in results. There are so many other facets to the audio equation before the interface comes into play. I used to have the extreme high end converter (Lavry's) and the extreme low end converter (Phonic) and there wasn't a lot of difference. Yes, there was some, but not enough to justify the price difference.

You should be looking at other things before thinking of buying a new interface.

1 the song
2 the performance/performer
3 Instruments/Amps/ Sound Source
4 Mix Eng experience
5 Mics
6 Room they're recorded in
7 Room they're mixed in.
8 Studio monitors.
9 mic pre-amps
10 Processors and usage.
11 converter/interface.
12 DAW
13 etc...

Well, you mentioned the amp; when recording directly thru the soundcard the amp does not play any parts in the process, and that's where I suspect the culprit to the average quality might be; i.e. the Fast Track cannot register enough depth while tracking the guitar/bass. Now, maybe your experience with low/high-end devices didn't cover that because you were recording the guitars via mic?

Well, you mentioned the amp; when recording directly thru the soundcard the amp does not play any parts in the process, and that's where I suspect the culprit to the average quality might be; i.e. the Fast Track cannot register enough depth while tracking the guitar/bass. Now, maybe your experience with low/high-end devices didn't cover that because you were recording the guitars via mic?

What do you mean by 'depth'? - please define. Before you had 'tidy' as a description. We really do not understand what you may be striving for. Post a sample (MP3) of what you consider the 'problem sound' is.

I mention amps as one of many different sound sources; voice, acoustic guitar, bass, piano, keyboards, synths, brass instruments, woodwinds, whatever.... The idea is to use a good sounding instrument as your source sound. That would include amps, virtual amps, amp sims, etc. Your recording is only going to be as good as the sound source you're recording, including amp sims.

You said "the Fast Track cannot register enough depth while tracking the guitar/bass. " but that is really vague and doesn't tell us anything.

FTR, I do not use amps; I use a Digitech amp modeler plugged directly into my interface.

Just to take a step back, it doesn't hurt to upgrade your interface. If you want a new one, you should get a new one. I've had several over the years and have finally settled on the UAD Apollo stuff. Just don't expect a new interface to solve problems that are created elsewhere. If your guitar tones don't sound like you want them to, look at the settings, the room, your monitors, etc. The interface won't have any real impact on guitar tones. If your singer can't hold a tune, get a new singer, not a new mic. That kind of stuff.

If you have a lot of latency, or weak signals, or incompatible drivers, then a new interface will solve that.

As others have said, modern digital interfaces have virtually no impact on the quality of the sound. Even the sub $1.00 chip in every computer is capable of remarkable results, especially D to A.

Interfaces CAN however have analogue issues due to poor design choices. One that seems to crop up a lot is lack of headroom, especially instrument inputs and Rock Gods seem incapable of operating the knob on their guitars!

Poor latency has been mentioned and this can be a problem with certain AI/driver combinations..NOT however just the cheap stuff!

But! If you want a reccy for the best, low noise, high headroom, lowest latency interface under $300?

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. And you get another copy of Cubase, Kontakt Player and a shedload of samples to download.

(and no, I am NOT on commish! But one can live in hope!)

Dave.

Back