Upgrading my PC to a DAW

JasonApril

Just came here from silentpcreview.com to get some additional feedback on an upgrade I'm working on. My PC sounds like a jet engine and my home recording studio is tiny. I have to record in the same room as my PC. This is a problem.

What I already own (minus the parts I'm replacing):

• Case: Antec Sonata III
  • Case Cooling: Recommendation to install intake fan (I have two extra 120mm fans.)
  • PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500 Green
  • Drives: 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300 (for Win7 and some sample libraries), 2 x 500GB HDDs
  • Audio Interface: Audio Kontrol 1 USB 2.0

What I'm considering buying:

• Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ($100) affordable, has everything I need
  • CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2 ($235) i7 performance with a cheaper price tag
  • CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO ($35) should probably wait on this and see if I actually need it
  • RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) ($120) 1600Mhz, 9-9-9-24 timing, and low voltage
  • Video card: Passive Radeon HD 7750 ($105) silent, yet I can still play games (this is my only computer, not a dedicated DAW)

Total: $595 (or $560 without the CPU cooler)

What do you guys think of this system? Is 16GB of RAM overkill? I've been using samples more frequently, and I do have a few symphonic pieces. I'm a solo artist, and I like to add drums and other sampled instruments like cello on several songs. But about half of my music is little more than one guitar and one vocal.

Original SPCR thread: silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66262

My PC sounds like a jet engine and my home recording studio is tiny. I have to record in the same room as my PC. This is a problem.

Hey. No matter how quiet your pc is, it could be a problem in a small room. Consider maybe keeping it in the next room?
All you need is a wireless keyboard/mouse and an hdmi extension cable, or whatever you use.
If not, consider watercooling.

What do you guys think of this system? Is 16GB of RAM overkill? I've been using samples more frequently, and I do have a few symphonic pieces. I'm a solo artist, and I like to add drums and other sampled instruments like cello on several songs. But about half of my music is little more than one guitar and one vocal.

Base your requirements on your heftiest session.
I don't think 16gb is overkill if you're using extensive VIs and samples.

You'll probably only tickle the second 8gb but at the price there's little reason not to future-proof as much as possible.

Looks good to me! 16GB of ram is somewhat of an overkill, but it can't hurt. If you've got the cash go for it, but you can also easily get by with 8GB.

The thing you will have to worry about with noise the most, in my opinion, is how the case is built. As long as you don't have anything crazy going on with the fans (which you don't) the case's inflow and outflow will be the most important. From what I've read that case appears to be very quiet, so you should be good to go.

edit: oh wait I see where you already have the case (thought you were buying it) and it sounds like a jet. Yeah like Steen said maybe keep it somewhere else? Do you have any extra fans going in your PC? If so, you might want to take them out if they're being noisy.

Also when most people around here say the word "DAW" we are talking about the actual recording program itself, such as Cubase or Pro Tools. Doesn't usually apply to the whole computer :)

There is no other room to move my PC to. I don't even have a closet. :(

According to SPCR, this system should be super quiet. Watercooling shouldn't be necessary. Besides, it's over my budget.

Base your requirements on your heftiest session.

Good advice. Thank you!

I should clarify that most of my current noise comes from my CPU fans (I have two CPUs). They run very hot, and my motherboard is messed up to boot, mostly the memory controller. RAM's at 96C! I also have a hot video card, which I'm replacing. I don't think the case is a problem, except that it needs an intake fan for better airflow.

Also when most people around here say the word "DAW" we are talking about the actual recording program itself, such as Cubase or Pro Tools. Doesn't usually apply to the whole computer.

What would you call a computer optimized to run a DAW, then? I thought programs like Pro Tools were technically DAW hosts, while the computer was the actual workstation.

Last edited:
If running in the same room, you should focus on the fans as stated. You could use something to "block off" the fan sound to reduce the noise. Here is a quick comparison site. Silent CPU Cooling. Spend a couple of extra bucks and get the one that will work for you.

If fans are the primary concern, then I should wait to install my new system and see how loud the fans actually are. Thanks for the advice and resource, David.

Before I buy and install the new system, does anyone have opinions on the hardware I'm considering buying? This is a commitment, so I want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money.

Reading a couple reviews, might want to research the MB a little more. Seems like there are USB driver issues. Other than that, everything spece'd out pretty good. Drop a Hard drive to spend on the MB, pick up a USB drive to store large projects and files. 500gB is a lot, unless you are downloading video. I see you have SDD, make sure your HD's run at 7200 RPM, since you are building it.

Even if you don't do these things, system looks pretty good. But do re-think the MB.

I did some more reading on the MSI Z77A-G41. Apparently the USB issue has been fixed with a BIOS update. From MSI: "This issue was caused by a glitch when OC genie is activated but it had been resolved in E7758IMS.291 (Ver 2.9b1)."

I just bought an off-the-shelf HP business PC, with 16GB RAM etc. It's very quiet... If it wasn't, I'd be moving it to another room, or investing in a gobo of some sort. Could be cheaper than a PC solution...

So, you're 10 years old yet you joined this site 13 years ago? ;)

I wish I had space for a second PC. Out of curiosity, what did you pay? How well does it handle audio projects?

Last edited:
Back