Upgrading From Audiobuddy Worth It?

Toolsound

Would it be worth upgrading my Audiobuddy mic preamp to something better? I was thinking about an FMR RNP, but I'm wondering if I'll be noticing much of a difference.

Right now I use the audiobuddy for bass/guitar/vocal recordings. It sounds pretty good, but I think the audiobuddy is the weakest link in my chain right now.

It depends on the rest of your chain. If you have nice mics, a good soundcard and good monitors, then yes, it's probably time to upgrade the preamp. If you're happy with your sound, there's really no need to change. I don't have the Audio Buddy, but I do have a DMP3 and think it is great for clean acoustic guitar stuff. The one criticism I've read of the Buddy is that it is only +41V phantom, which makes some condenser mics act sketchy.

That being said, I think the RNP would be a definite upgrade. However, it may depend on the style of music you're making, too.

I'm using an SM57 and an e609 for micing my guitar cabs. I've got an Echo MiaMidi soundcard (24/96k w/4 balanced inputs/outputs). I don't have any monitors--I'm just using my PC speakers. I play metal/hard rock stuff.

I would say that your monitors are the weakest link in the chain. You won't hear a major difference between those preamps through computer speakers.

ocnor said:
I would say that your monitors are the weakest link in the chain. You won't hear a major difference between those preamps through computer speakers.
Technically, the monitors aren't in the recording chain, but I agree they are probably where you need to spend your money right now. Every decision you make in your recording and mixing, and gear purchasing, is based on what your monitors are telling you, and without accurate monitors you can't make good decisions.
-RD

Sounds like a plan. Would the Whaferdale Diamond Pro 8.2 's be a good starting point? I don't have a ton of money to blow.

Back