Which to upgrade...instrument or interface

The best thing you can do is mic up a nice amp, but I guess there's a reason you're not doing that?

Hey, yup. Lots of late/night recording. I use so many plug-in filters for background/noises as well. Plus...then I need a good amp mic, stand, cables...blah. Don't have the space/environment for all that just yet.

Great job! Love the song and the performance! If your equipment is subpar, I can only imagine what you could achieve with better equipment. I've heard many recordings here with better equipment, but none of them sounded as good as yours does. Good job....

Great job! Love the song and the performance! If your equipment is subpar, I can only imagine what you could achieve with better equipment. I've heard many recordings here with better equipment, but none of them sounded as good as yours does. Good job....

Thanks man

When you are looking at upgrading there are two principles to keep in mind. The first is that the closer in the signal chain you invest to the musician, the better return on your investment. For example, better instruments above anything else, better mics before preamp, etc. The second principle is that gear that converts signals from one form to another aka transducers provide a more noticable difference than processors. This works hand in hand with the first principle. For example gear like guitars that convert vibrating strings into electical signals, mics that convert sound waves into electrical signals, an audio interface that converts analog into digital and digital into analog, and monitors that convert electrical signals into sound waves will all give you a better return on your investment dollars than things like outboard compressors, eqs, effects, etc.

When you are looking at upgrading there are two principles to keep in mind. The first is that the closer in the signal chain you invest to the musician, the better return on your investment. For example, better instruments above anything else, better mics before preamp, etc. The second principle is that gear that converts signals from one form to another aka transducers provide a more noticable difference than processors. This works hand in hand with the first principle. For example gear like guitars that convert vibrating strings into electical signals, mics that convert sound waves into electrical signals, an audio interface that converts analog into digital and digital into analog, and monitors that convert electrical signals into sound waves will all give you a better return on your investment dollars than things like outboard compressors, eqs, effects, etc.

very useful, thanks a lot for this.

Exciting! What kind of Gibson did you go with?

2001 Studio Gothic. Now I know what I've been missing! The action is incredible, so easy to fly around on that thing, though I don't incorporate many solos in my music, but even chord changes are quick and precise. Only complaint is that the tone selector is in a position where I can accidentally bump it if I'm strumming too haphazardly. Otherwise, feels and sounds great. Should have something new up next weekend as a sample.

2001 Studio Gothic. Now I know what I've been missing! The action is incredible, so easy to fly around on that thing, though I don't incorporate many solos in my music, but even chord changes are quick and precise. Only complaint is that the tone selector is in a position where I can accidentally bump it if I'm strumming too haphazardly. Otherwise, feels and sounds great. Should have something new up next weekend as a sample.

Very nice. Those Studios are a great bang-for-buck guitar. I'm not familiar with the Gothic in particular...were those the matte black ones with super hot pickups?

Very nice. Those Studios are a great bang-for-buck guitar. I'm not familiar with the Gothic in particular...were those the matte black ones with super hot pickups?

yes. all black, hot pickups. Got a decent deal, I think. Told him to keep the case it came with and I gave him my Fender clone as well. I paid $375 USD. In retrospect, I think the combination of two guitar sounds might be something I wanted for recording. I overdubbed the new guitar onto an old track that has the clone playing along with it, and it sounds very good. Oh well, too late now. here's the link to the U.G. review:

Les Paul Studio Gothic Review | Gibson | Electric Guitars | Reviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Back