Updated to New PC,.. now in need of a new Interface to work with Window's 7 64 Bit...

WERNER 1

Hey guys,.. it's been quite a while since I've been on here posting, but I'm looking for some input and suggestions on which direction I should go in regards to a new interface ??...

Background: Was using a 10 year old PC w/ XP and a Delta 1010 with various mic pre's (FMR RNP, DMP-3, VTB-1..) That set up worked well for me.

Now I've stepped things up a notch if you will,... Still running a PC, Window's 7 64bit, 3.5Ghz 8 Core, 16G ram,.. blah,..blah..

Well this new mother board is PCIe not PCI,.. so I've lost the use of my Delta 1010,.. which is fine as I was looking to upgrade anyway..

Recording needs: Honestly I usually don't record more than about 2-3 tracks at a time so I don't think I really "need" a whole lot of in's. Looking to upgrade sound quality in both the Pre sections as well as the D/A converters.

Price point: Probably around 1200.00'ish

Things that have came to mind as I've been researching this over the past couple of weeks have been: RME FireFace UC, BLA modded 896HD, Echo, .... ???

Key Factors: Must be know to work well with Windows 7 64bit.

Well bring on the suggestions :)

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Are you sure you don't have regular PCI slots too? I have a couple on my mobo.

and if you're only going to need a 4 input interface, you can go pretty much anywhere to find good ones. 1200 seems like a silly number for so little too.

Yep,. no PCI slots on the MB..

I don't really want to spend that much,... but I'd like to get to the best quality I can for that price point... I mean the FireFace 400 new is like 1200.00,.. ...

Thanks,
Rick

I ended up getting a used RME FireFace UC for around 880.00,... should work out just fine for my needs :)

If you're running Windows I would avoid anything Firewire based. Windows and Firewire don't always get along so well. USB 2.0 is a much cleaner Windows Interface; something like the Tascam US-1800 or some of the Focusrite USB 2.0 boxes. The exact opposite is true if you're using a Mac; USB 2.0 is not so great and Firewire is the way to go.

Yep,. no PCI slots on the MB..

I don't really want to spend that much,... but I'd like to get to the best quality I can for that price point... I mean the FireFace 400 new is like 1200.00,.. ...

Thanks,
Rick

If you're running Windows I would avoid anything Firewire based. Windows and Firewire don't always get along so well. USB 2.0 is a much cleaner Windows Interface; something like the Tascam US-1800 or some of the Focusrite USB 2.0 boxes. The exact opposite is true if you're using a Mac; USB 2.0 is not so great and Firewire is the way to go.

Why is there always such nonsense from a lot of first time posters?... It seems that way anyways. Giving misguided advice is not helpful to anyone.

Sorry if you consider the advice bad. This has been my experience with the Windows and Mac OS and the drivers written for them. Not just in drivers for audio devices, but all drivers. I've been working in IT for about 30 years now.

Why is there always such nonsense from a lot of first time posters?... It seems that way anyways. Giving misguided advice is not helpful to anyone.

Back