Update OS or not?

eazanotti

Guys, I am new participating in the forum, however I have been using it for a long time looking for information that helped me a lot.
I am brazilian so sorry for my poor english.
Don´t know if my doubt fits the thread, but I use a Mac in my home studio (voiceover) and very very stable and trustable, but what is wording me a lot for some time is the fact that I am running the OS 10.8.5 and have not updated to Maverick. I was thinking about the current update to Yosemite, but after reading some experiences on that, I think twice.
For those who use Mac. If you keep an old OS like me, is it a problem?
I use Logic pro X for music and all Adobe package (CS6) for my job. Audition for recording voice and all the graphic softwares for drawing and animation. Have you got any bugs updating?
Again, sorry if this is not the right place for this question.

This probably is the wrong place but no doubt our friendly team of moderators can move this into its own thread in one of the recording forums.

However, until that happens I'll try to give you an answer.

I'll start by saying that I'm NOT a Mac user but I'm a regular on the Audition user forums and tend to see what others have to say.

Anyhow, when Mavericks first came out, there were pretty severe problems relating to audio. There were two or three quick bug fixes issued by Apple and, eventually, they seem to have it working okay so you'd likely be safe upgrading that far.

However, the Yosemite release is a repeat of the problems, this time regarding the video display. I've heard of problems with the drawing/animation of waveforms in both Audition and Reaper (dunno about Logic Pro).

So, based on that, I'd probably either stick to what you have or upgrade no farther than Mavericks until some Yosemite bug fixes are issued and working.

As a general comment, I try to stay fairly up to date on my operating system (Windows) but NOT install upgrades right away. Instead I wait for others to find the bugs and only upgrade once I stop hearing complaints.

Sorry Bobbsy - Didn't see this until now.
Feel free to report or PM mod stuff. :)

Agreed. I avoid any brand new OSs. Let someone else find the problem!!
Unless youre developing, there's no real need to be right on the cutting edge.
I'm on Mavericks on both machines, but I'm honestly not sure if Id miss much by going back to 10.6 or something! :eek:

I might install 10.10.1/2 on my mbp to see how this iphone integration stuff works, but definitely not on my Mac Pro (work computer).

Back