A Unit for Live Recording

reverbdk

Hey all,

My buddies run live sound for shows throughout the year, and want them recorded live. They have recently recorded the live show in stereo through their main board's output, but want something recorded down to be able to edit later. I'm interested in taking up the job, but will need a portable recording solution. I've noticed there are a lot that do not require a computer, and are individual recording and editing interfaces in and of themselves (like the Tascam DP03). I'm wondering what type of portastudio would be a worthwhile solution to help my friends record tracks from their 16 channel board, and if I should consider getting a portastudio to begin with. It would be great to get a decent live recording on the spot, with the possibility to export it to a CD right then and there, but I just don't know a lot about these types of boards.

Thanks for any advice

The Tascam Portastudios are amazing. I have a 2488NEO that is priceless in my opinion. The DP24 is its replacement.

If you are going to be recording each track individually, first their mixing board needs individual sends for each channel. Then you need a recorder, or interface/computer with the ability to record that many simultaneous tracks. You might want to consider something with more tracks and putting a couple of room mics out there, too. These will capture the ambiance of the room and audience sounds.

These will capture the ambiance of the room and audience sounds.

I was thinking that exact thing. Getting the room sound as well would give it a more 'live' kind of sound :). Sounds like I could get away with a portastudio for the tracks themselves and then have something separate for the room/audience sounds (as long as I have enough room for all the live tracks)? I was also thinking that my buds could send each track from the main board, pre-fader, to my separate recording interface. Does this seem reasonable with a portastudio?

The Tascam Portastudios are amazing.

Thanks for the opinion! Glad to hear that Tascam has worked well, especially since those were the first portable options I was looking at. Do you know if these also record each track as an individual raw file, just in case I want to take it back to my homebase and edit it?

Nevermind,
Just found that out for myself. Turns out pretty much all of em allow you to export the raw sound files. Am now looking into: 2488NEO for half price, Tascam DP-24, and Zoom z24.

Back