Unbearable hiss when connecting Samson C01 mic to TonePort KB37

Keytown Cowboy

Hello everybody,

When I connect my Samson C01 large diaphragm mic to my TonePort KB37 I only get an unbearable hiss and no signal. When I switch off the phantom power the hiss disappears but obviously I get no sound from the mic either.

My other mic, an Audiotechnica 2020, gives no trouble at all. When I connect them both, I only get the hiss.

Is the Samson broke or in some way not a match with the KB37?

Thank you for your input,

Robert

The C01U (USB version) has reports of hiss and perhaps is a trait of this Samson mic, but it should get some signal through it.

"My other mic, an Audiotechnica 2020, gives no trouble at all. When I connect them both, I only get the hiss."
I can't find a spec for the current that the C01 draws for phantom power, but wondering if the Toneport KB37 or the USB port on your computer powering the K37 just can't power the C01 and thus the voltage gets too low for the AT2020 as well? Do you have access to anything else that can provide phantom such as a mixer? Is the LED on the C01 lit when supposedly powered? Try different USB ports and see if that makes a difference.

Hello everybody,

When I connect my Samson C01 large diaphragm mic to my TonePort KB37 I only get an unbearable hiss and no signal. When I switch off the phantom power the hiss disappears but obviously I get no sound from the mic either.
My guess is a bad component. I had a mic go bad on me while under warranty and it hissed.

A Samson C01 was the first condenser mic I had. I don't know if it was representative of the model but it was crap. Had a shrill high end and couldn't handle SPL's. I'm sure there are endless better mics you can get for around the same or less or not much more money. Marshall MXL, Studio Projects and others. I'd be suspect of anything made by Samson.

The vocal on this was recorded with a Marshall MXL 990. Has to be one of the best bang/buck mics. I got two of them on super cheapie special for I believe 39.99 each. I was curious how a mic that cheap sounded - works on everything. I was tickled to discover it works great on trumpet. Couldn't ask more for the money.

https://soundcloud.com/brassplyer/would-you-go-with-me-briter

Back