UAD1 or Top-end Waves Bundle???

Fishybob

Ok, big debate and I know it's usually down to personal taste... but I'm hoping for your opinions.

Those of you who have tried both... do you think that there is much difference in quality of sound between these???

I ask because I use Waves Diamond but I'm getting fed up of my CPU groaning on large projects and think the extra power may help... I just don't want to lose the charactor of the mixes.

Opinions please???? :confused:

I agree that the Waves Diamond bundle does suck up alot of CPU power, but what Im going to do is build another inexpensive computer to run the waves plugs... The UAD-1 is a nice card but I perfer Waves...

please excuse the ignorance but how do you run waves on another system??

... please speak very slowly... I am IT :rolleyes: thick!

You have to use SMPTE an analogue waveform. It is similar to a Modem noise, in that it can be decoded to create a Midi timecode (a digital signal).

To save on the steps involved in producing the smpte waveform , and using a SMPTE to MTC converter, just send MTC from the one machne to another. Set the slave machine sync options to MTC.

Another option is to use the digital (SP/DIF or ADAT) connections on each card, and use VST System Link ( This is what I'm going to use because I run Cubase SX3), so that both machine lock to one another. This works great (when the cards fully support it) as the sync, the transport control and Midi and audio data may be sent across the same link, and the delay compensation is worked out.

VSTi's can be hosted on one system, and played by midi data from the other. :D

Thanks for that... a very nice solution!

I have a second machine but I think it'll probably max out if used for anything more taxing than a paperweight! :rolleyes:

I'm REALLY happy with my Waves IR-1 reverb but I've heard so much about the UAD compressors and EQ's that it may work out the best option... I'll hang on to my the Waves stuff for home mastering though.

Any more opinions??????

you can try FX Teleport. The host app runs on the same machne as your sequencer, and you install the server app on the second PC. The server app 'wraps' the VST plugin and redirects it to the sequencer app over ethernet using TCP/IP.

You can check it out at http://www.fx-max.com

Both systems have their pros and cons.

Back