UAD Apollo interfaces.

Kurkkumopo

Heyaa,

I've decided to take the road of the UAD plugins and therefore get the interface from them also which would be the Apollo line in that case. What i wanted to ask is that will the Apollo Twin Duo USB with 2 mic inputs be enough if i'm recording by miking the guitars and vocals (ofc), playing bass DI and programming the drums with Superior, or should i get for example the Apollo 8 Duo with 4 mic inputs instead? Just asking that will 2 mics (condenser + dynamic) be enough for recording guitars or do i need more?

Cheers bruhskies :guitar:

Almost everything you record will only need one or two mics. Drums are the biggest exception. If you are doing everytbing yourself, two inputs should be fine.

Well in that case i think it's going to be Apollo Twin.

And CoolCat, the reason being that the on a hardware side the two are the same pretty much. Only difference being in the amount of mic inputs and the amount of DSP. I'm not sure if i will need DSP that much even if most of the plugin usage happens in the DAW during mixing and not so much during tracking.

The dsp for the uad plugins always uses the apollo. So you will need to get as much dsp as you will need to run the uad plugins during mixdown.

I've been mixing on a friend's Apollo 16 and I've managed to max out the processing more than once. Granted, most of the songs have double drum kits so there's a lot of eq/compression going on. When that happens I take it as a reminder that there are other plugins besides the UAD ones.

Another option would be to settle with the Twin first as it has all the inputs that i need and then get few additional PCIe cards or the satellite thingie whatever it was again.

All the apollo interfaces are included with a decent bundle of plugins which surely will get you started, probably the only plugins that i will get later are the Ampex master tape and the Struder A800 multitrack tape plugin.

Ive been, as usual wondering around shopping preamps and outboard and the Apollo is a damn good deal. The Apollo is hard to beat really because you get the great plugs and the great converters and preamps are clean. It offers the true, real-time FX with latency a non issue for Tracking.

I dont do much mixing so I dont know about running out of DSP? Cant a person use regular VST for mixing?

Ive been, as usual wondering around shopping preamps and outboard and the Apollo is a damn good deal. The Apollo is hard to beat really because you get the great plugs and the great converters and preamps are clean. It offers the true, real-time FX with latency a non issue for Tracking.

I dont do much mixing so I dont know about running out of DSP? Cant a person use regular VST for mixing?

Absolutely, and i personally think that the UAD plugs are the most realistic sounding on the market, afterall they have made some of the most legendary hardware limiters, pre's etc on the market.

I'm wondering if BSG didn't run out of FW bandwidth instead of DSP resources. That's one of the downside to the apollo units. I run a 2-core DSP card as well as the apollo, never run out of resources. Plus, I don't have to turn on the apollo if I want to do a little mixing.

And yes, you can use whatver plugs you want along side the UAD plugs.

I'm wondering if BSG didn't run out of FW bandwidth instead of DSP resources. That's one of the downside to the apollo units. I run a 2-core DSP card as well as the apollo, never run out of resources. Plus, I don't have to turn on the apollo if I want to do a little mixing.

And yes, you can use whatver plugs you want along side the UAD plugs.

Which DSP card you're using?

Back