UAD-1 versus TC Electronics Powercore

EveningSky

I am considering purchase of one of the these coprocessors with plug-ins.
Do any forum users have experience with either, or preferably both?
I am in need of advice to guide me in my purchase decision.
Thank you,
EveningSky

Last edited:
I have the UAD-1. What I like: the sound, and the processing power (I have an old computer). What I don't: the interfaces. Yeah, it's clever to have them look exactly like the box, but it wastes a lot of screen real estate.

Go with the UAD if you looking for dynamics processors (compressors, limiters, EQ's), and if you're looking for reverbs and delays, go with TC Powercore.

The Powercore is know for its delays and reverbs. The UAD for its compressors and effects. However, listen to the Plate 140 reverb at the UA site and decide for yourself. I found this reverb sound was all I was looking for and went with the UAD1 because it offered a wider range of sounds for the money.

Dreamverb and the plate140 really narrowed that gap between the reverb quality of the UAD 1 and the Powercore. To me the big advantage of the Powercore is the Sony add ons (expensive though) and I believe there is, or at least is going to be, a Massenburg add on.

Thank you.
1. What about processing power of the two devices? The UAD has one dsp processor. They keep the ID a secret. They keep the strength of the chip a secret (cycle speed and bit depth). The Powercore is more transparent in its specs, and has parallel processing. In the end, I cannot determine which is more powerful and able to use more complicated/feature rich plug-ins. Does any reader have insight into the power of these two systems?
2. The Powercore also includes some dynamic processing and equalization. Do any of the readers have experience with both. Are they too similar to rank?
3. You are correct XSTATIC, for the present, I would prefer not to purchase additional expensive sound software.
Thank you again,
ES

It's all in the ears.

I found the UAD1 compressors more in line with what I hear a-lot-of in modern music. Less so the delays and reverbs on the Powercore. Also, the compressors and EQ on the Powercore don't hold a candle to the UAD1 except for the Sony Oxford plug in. That EQ is worth the money as are the delays mentioned previously.

Neither is really better or worse, it comes down to what do you require.

Back