Two latency questions

Whoopysnorp

The first thing might not have anything to do with latency, but then again it might. I'm having a problem with certain Sonic Foundry plugins, which somehow causes an audible gap between the processed track and the unprocessed sound on other tracks. For example, I record drums to four tracks. If I try using one of these problem plugins (like Sonic Foundry Graphic Dynamics, Parametric EQ, Graphic EQ) on, say, the kick track, I hear a gap between the beater click on this track and the beater click on the overhead tracks. Other plugins don't give me this problem, but then again most of the (non-free) plugins I own are from Sonic Foundry (XFX bundle, came with Sound Forge 5.0 download). Is this latency-related? Has anyone else run into this before? How can I correct this?

Question 2: I'm running at 28ms latency. I'm working on a project right now that has eight tracks so far (they don't all play at once, either--usually six at a time). I have a reverb plugin going on each of the two guitar tracks, and that gives me no problems; CPU usage around 10%. I tried to add a compressor or an EQ to the kick track, and all of a sudden I get pops and clicks galore. I tried it with the aforementioned Sonic Foundry stuff, and I got around 20% CPU usage. Since those were unacceptable (for the reasons mentioned above), I used n-Track's parametric EQ instead. I get only around 15% CPU usage, but still the pops and clicks. I can't set my buffers any higher--n-Track can't seem to override the M-Audio ASIO driver's settings. Should additional plugins increase buffer usage? Is this normal behavior? My setup is below (it was an IBM Aptiva, now it's but a shell of its former self):

Anigma S30 m-board/AMD-750 chipset/700 Mhz Athlon
200W power
352 MB RAM
5400 rpm 17GB HD (OS and apps)--primary master
7200 rpm 40GB HD (audio)--secondary master
Philips 8x4x32 CD-RW--primary slave
AOpen DVD-ROM--secondary slave
TNT2 M64 16MB video
SBLive Value
Delta 66
Linksys Ethernet card
Win98SE
n-Track

I have a feeling I left something out. I always do.

Hey Whoopysnorp
Approaching your problem from the perspective of a hardcore computer nut and a home recording novice I can't believe that your system is actually running on a 200watt powersupply. 250 would still be too small a PS, you need a minimum of 300watts and I would recommend to err on the side of caution and get a 350 or 400watt quality powersupply (sparkle makes a good 400w that can be had cheap).

Do you get frequent computer lockups? The kind that you can't even CTRL/ALT/DEL out of? The Athlon processor is a powerhog not even considering some of the powerhungry peripherals you are employing.

Theres my .02

Antiacus

Yes, I was afraid of that. I don't get many lockups that don't seem to be the fault of software, though. Should I have any problem fitting a new power supply in my case (everything's packed kinda tight in there)?

Back