Two computers 1 interface

Crow Feather

I have 3 computers for recording ! windows and 2 macs.1 focusrite saffire 6 usb.The drivers for focusrite on all 3.Can i use the interface on both computers going back and forth with out haveing to pull the usb off of one and plug it into another.Is there such a thing as i wire to interface and 2 wires splitting and one going to windows and one tto mac

I have in the past had my two - firewire - port - equipped Firewood hooked to two different computers, one old XP machine and a newer Win 7 machine. This stopped working for some reason after switching around things in my studio, though.

To answer your question, there are USB splitter type things, especially from back in the day when computers only had one or two ports. Many have six+ now, so they're not as common. I have one sitting gathering dust in my desk drawer.

Heck, I'd send it to you for cost of shipping, but they should be easily source able near you. You certainly wouldn't be able to have everything switched on at the same time or anything fancy...

Or you could just pull the plug every time you needed to switch. Not too hard, esp. if you have an extra cable.

thanks guys i,ll go to local music store to see if they sell manufactured splitter,or just by another focusrite.

AFAIK you can't "split" USB and AIs almost never work on hubs. The switch is the only option.
One cheap solution is an AI such as the Alesis i02 and link the S/PDIF ins and outs (plus MIDI if you do that). The cheapness of the i02 will not matter for S/PDIF transfers.

Dave.

I know this isn't necessarily a solution for you but figured I'd chime in cause one thing I thought was a super cool feature

Anything using Waves SoundGrid, in SoundGrid Studio with eMOTION ST can share the I/O's between multiple computers.

Super super super cool. let alone all the other possibilities

Back