Trying to set-up my Mac Mini to work with my Mbox and Maschine Mikro

PremiereHipHop

What's up guys? I use to have an older Power PC Mac mini which I used with my mbox and I think it was protools 7. Then I decided to sell my MPC2k, because I wanted to upgrade and use something different, so I got a Maschine Mikro and then all the problems started. I had to get a newer Mac Mini with an intel processor and that would run OSX Lion or higher, because those are the requirements for Maschine. I got the Maschine working, but then I couldn't get my mbox working, because I couldn't use the version I had of protools anymore with my new set-up. I've heard the newest version of Protools 11 works with the mini's, but I don't have 600 to spend on that. So I'm trying to figure out what's the best alternative? so I could continue to make beats on my Maschine Mikro and record vocals with my mbox? Here's my set-up below...

Mac Mini Late 2009 Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs of ram running OSX 10.8.3 (12D78)
Maschine Mikro
Digidesign Mbox 2

Any help is really appreciated thanks guys! :thumbs up:

Hi there,
Does Protools 7 work on your intel mac? I presume it does.
If so, the odd one out is the mbox, right?

This article should be useful to you.
Seems the mbox isn't compatible with core2duo macs, PT 11, or yosemite.

That means you're in a hole because PT 7 requires avid/digidesign hardware, whereas pt9/10/11 do not.
I haven't scrutinised the options, but I'm thinking PT9 + a new interface (presonus/tascam/etc) is the way forward.

Are you adamant about using Protools, moving forward?

Reaper might be worth a look. You'd still need a new audio interface but it'd bring your costs down considerably.

Ok it mentions this Apple Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 (Mid-2010) running Mavericks 10.9.x. is not compatible, but I have an older mini from 2009 running Lion. I also found this post on the Avid site.

As of April 20, 2009, all Apple Mac mini models with Intel processors are officially qualified with Pro Tools LE 8.0 systems

And I found this link Downloads to download Pro Tools LE 8, so hopefully this works. If this doesn't work do you think I should just sell my mbox and move on to another interface? I wanted to always stick with protools, because everyone says that's the industry standard, because we would probably want to send our recordings to bigger studios for final mixdowns you know.

Hi there,
Does Protools 7 work on your intel mac? I presume it does.
If so, the odd one out is the mbox, right?

This article should be useful to you.
Seems the mbox isn't compatible with core2duo macs, PT 11, or yosemite.

That means you're in a hole because PT 7 requires avid/digidesign hardware, whereas pt9/10/11 do not.
I haven't scrutinised the options, but I'm thinking PT9 + a new interface (presonus/tascam/etc) is the way forward.

Ok it mentions this Apple Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 (Mid-2010) running Mavericks 10.9.x. is not compatible, but I have an older mini from 2009 running Lion. I also found this post on the Avid site.

As of April 20, 2009, all Apple Mac mini models with Intel processors are officially qualified with Pro Tools LE 8.0 systems

And I found this link Downloads to download Pro Tools LE 8, so hopefully this works. If this doesn't work do you think I should just sell my mbox and move on to another interface? I wanted to always stick with protools, because everyone says that's the industry standard, because we would probably want to send our recordings to bigger studios for final mixdowns you know.

As far as I know a 2009 model will still be core2duo.
If PT8 works with either/both of your mac minis then that's super.

It seems like the mbox2 isn't supported on those macs under the newest MacOSs, so that's no issue,
but PT8.0.5 is only officially supported up until Snow leopard 10.6.8.
Also, that PT8 download won't work unless you have an auth code for it.

Mac mini on 10.6.8 with PT8.0.5 seems to be the best fit, if it's possible.
If not, PT9 would be better, but keeping in mind you can't upgrade your OS while you have the mbox2.

This grid and this grid might be useful.

Last edited:
I'm so confused I thought when you buy a mac everything is suppose to be so much easier! SMH.

As far as I know a 2009 model will still be core2duo.
If PT8 works with either/both of your mac minis then that's super.

It seems like the mbox2 isn't supported on those macs under the newest MacOSs, so that's no issue,
but PT8.0.5 is only officially supported up until Snow leopard 10.6.8.
Also, that PT8 download won't work unless you have an auth code for it.

Mac mini on 10.6.8 with PT8.0.5 seems to be the best fit, if it's possible.
If not, PT9 would be better, but keeping in mind you can't upgrade your OS while you have the mbox2.

This grid and this grid might be useful.

I'm so confused I thought when you buy a mac everything is suppose to be so much easier! SMH.

Unfortunately they aren't magic.
You bought hardware that requires OS X 10.8 or later, and you have software which requires OS X 10.6 or earlier.

I actually missed this earlier. Seems you're stuck with 10.8 because of the Maschine Mikro.
The mbox 2 is compatible with 10.8 and the appropriate protools version, which is 10 or 11.

Looks like you need to upgrade to PT 10/11, or try a different recording suite all together.

Apologies for the confusion earlier.

PS: I'm going on avid's compatibility charts here but they are a minefield.
Please satisfy yourself that I'm right before you spend money. ;)

Yea I'm going to have to do more research and see what my best options are. Thanks for all your time and help! I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately they aren't magic.
You bought hardware that requires OS X 10.8 or later, and you have software which requires OS X 10.6 or earlier.

I actually missed this earlier. Seems you're stuck with 10.8 because of the Maschine Mikro.
The mbox 2 is compatible with 10.8 and the appropriate protools version, which is 10 or 11.

Looks like you need to upgrade to PT 10/11, or try a different recording suite all together.

Apologies for the confusion earlier.

PS: I'm going on avid's compatibility charts here but they are a minefield.
Please satisfy yourself that I'm right before you spend money. ;)

Back