Trying to put my mixing desk farther away

Craig.reid

So i have a basement i'm trying to record in. I want ot be able to have my mixing desk in the part of the basement that is finished and keep the trackinging all in the unfinished area. However i am going to need to add about 100ft of signal length to get that done. Any ideas on how that's done?! thanks in advance!

Gear is an firestudio project firewire 400 interface for recording drums
to a macbook pro 13in with Logic pro x

Okay so say i buy a snake, that allows for me to keep my audio interface and rackmounted gear in room (A) where i plan to mix and monitor. I would run all the mics Balanced lines into the box on the snake and plug the other ends into my interface. Is this going to cause any signal degradation at that length? And then how would i solve the problem of being able to monitor while tracking? thanks for the response!

---------- Update ----------

Im guessing so without having to buy like 10 100ft xlr cables.

Maybe a ribbon mic might want one of those 'lifters? (don't know
What do you mean 'monitoring? Your down there recording', (controlling start stop, what about that?) hearing phones mixes, what?

Yes headphone mixes, thanks.
But your basically saying the rest of my dynamic and majority of my condensers are gonna be fine with a 100ft snake?

Okay so say i buy a snake, that allows for me to keep my audio interface and rackmounted gear in room (A) where i plan to mix and monitor. I would run all the mics Balanced lines into the box on the snake and plug the other ends into my interface. Is this going to cause any signal degradation at that length? And then how would i solve the problem of being able to monitor while tracking? thanks for the response!

---------- Update ----------

Im guessing so without having to buy like 10 100ft xlr cables.

100' snakes will not present any problems with signal loss. After all, that is what is used in typical live sound systems.

Snakes come in various configurations. You need to find one that will give you the appropriate number of lines from mikes to interface, as well as a set of lines going from interface back to stage box that can provide the monitoring function.

any suggestions as to a model that would be good fro such an application. Thanks for all the feedback by the way, i wish i would have known that forums were so helpful all along lol

Possibilities

1 Shift your computer to where you are tracking when you are tracking. That saves buying a snake.

2 Get long extensions for keyboard, monitor and mouse and take them to where you track

i would rather be able to control each instrument individually as well

Clarify again. Please remember stuff like this can mean numbers of things, we're not in your head.

Another thing not answered re; would you be one of the ones recording downstairs'?

Hey sorry, i mean like in an actual studio your able to turn to a little box and actually dial in your headphone mix. Say the drummer needs more bass and less vocals, he can dial it in specifically for him and the same for anyone else in the band. I would like to be able to do this for up to 4 people. Does this usually mean some sort of software to put each instrument on some sort of bus for the headphone amp?

Hey sorry, i mean like in an actual studio your able to turn to a little box and actually dial in your headphone mix. Say the drummer needs more bass and less vocals, he can dial it in specifically for him and the same for anyone else in the band. I would like to be able to do this for up to 4 people. Does this usually mean some sort of software to put each instrument on some sort of bus for the headphone amp?
Right. So every thing you might want to control, is another path and control point.
You say you can control (some.. all?) needed record functions via iPad.
It still seems you might need -or be better off with a split of your mic lines, and a mixer down there- with enough auxes and head amps, to do these 'custom phones mixes.

Point- Not everyone needs their own unique phones mix. Nice idea but a) more gear, b) more complicated-- Not everyone (especially where their primary talent is playing) is necessarily going to know how to get an effective phones mix. I.e. can = unnecessary complications, less efficient tracking.

So what your saying is to just use the 1/4in stereo outs from my interface to run back through the snake to the headphone amp on the other end of the snake? is this going to be easier with a monitoring system so i can still have access to my outs for my monitors and my 1/4 headphone in on my end? And if so, any suggestions on what would be a good buy?

So what your saying is to just use the 1/4in stereo outs from my interface to run back through the snake to the headphone amp on the other end of the snake? is this going to be easier with a monitoring system so i can still have access to my outs for my monitors and my 1/4 headphone in on my end? And if so, any suggestions on what would be a good buy?
No, not any more. (That made sense before but...

Whichever end of the snake you place the headphone amp there are advantages and disadvantages. I tend to prefer it in the "control room" if I have to choose. Where I usually record we have amps at both ends, a rack mount one with lots of features in the control room and several little 4-output boxes around the recording room. In theory I could send four stereo headphone mixes out to the recording room and split those to at least ten headphones. But in reality I send one headphone mix to everybody and give them separate volume control.

Back