Trouble with E-MU and higher sample rate

I've been recording audio to DVD with E-MU 1212 for a while now at 44.1 and want to try
96 but no sound at that sample rate.I've turned up the rate on XP to full.I've looked every-
where but haven't found any definitive answers.So,I thought I'd try here.
Thanks

You're going to need to give us more info than that. For starters, what do you mean by "turned up the rate on XP to full"?

You're going to need to give us more info than that. For starters, what do you mean by "turned up the rate on XP to full"?

I read somewhere you have to manually turn up the sample rate in XP .The sample rate in XP has to match that of the program.All I could find (in XP) was A slide bar for the sample rate >minimal and fullest.
Would XP64bit be better i wonder?

I'm not using sonar,cubase or any program.Just the Patchmix DSP that comes with the soundcard.
Out of soundcard in to A Home DVD recorder.I'm recording streaming audio from capradio.org."Mick
Martins' Blues Party"

Capitol would not allow me to record at all on my 2496 soundcard at 96kHz, in fact it crashed Samplitude and I had to start a new project.
44.1kH was fine except it hesitated a good 10 secs before starting (Radio 3 never does that)

I would not expect a domestic DVD machine to record audio at other than 48kHz? In any case...
1) Just record the radio internally, prob' at 44.1kHz
2) Why 96k? The radio won't be coming in at that sample rate.

And I found the spectrum interesting. A brick wall at 10kHz! Radio 3 goes out to the 14kHz point.

Dave.

Attachments

• capitol r spectrum.png
    capitol r spectrum.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 13
Haven't looked at your graphGood point .but the "domestic" DVD will still record at A higher rate than any cd capability.
When I play A factory DVD concert disc It always sounds way better than A CD.And that's all I'm
trying to accomplish here.

2) Why 96k? The radio won't be coming in at that sample rate.
^^^This^^^

but the "domestic" DVD will still record at A higher rate than any cd capability.
When I play A factory DVD concert disc It always sounds way better than A CD.And that's all I'm

Sure, it will 'record' at a higher rate, but the data it is recording is at a lower rate. It can't fill the gaps in data with more information it doesn't have to make it sound better. If you think a 44.1khz sampled song sounds better when uprated to 96khz, you're only fooling yourself. That phenomenon is called psycho-acoustics, it sounds better because you believe it should sound better.

There is a whole lot that goes into a factory concert dvd to get it to sound good besides sample rate.

If you're capturing streaming audio off the internet, it will most likely be 44.1khz. Stick with that sample rate and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by davethewave View Post

but the "domestic" DVD will still record at A higher rate than any cd capability.

I have had getting on for 8 DVD recorders for TV, VHS dubbing and a couple with HDDs in them. In that time I have had various operation issues, lockups and general problems to sort out.
NEVER in all that time have I found any capability to record at any rate other than the standard for video of 48kHz. Why should they?

I included the spectrum of Capitol just FYI. I don't know why they put a brickwall filter in at 10k but they do. The Beeb don't.

Dave.

If you're using the proper E-MU drivers then the Windows settings have nothing to do with what goes on in your interface.

From memory, to record at 96kHz you have to create a new Patchmix session and specify the 96kHz rate there. The E-MU doesn't accept external commands to change the sample rate except for a switch between 44.1 and 48kHz (for some strange reason).

However, I'll join the others and say that setting the E-MU to anything above 48kHz is a pointless exercise. DVDs work natively at 48kHz and, if it seems to accept any other setting, it'll just be doing an internal conversion. In any case, as pointed out, your original radio programme won't have any frequencies above 10 or 14kHz anyway.

Back