Transferring Files/Tracks from Fostex To DAW?

idkDude

Is there any conceivable way I can transfer all the data (hopefully individual tracks within songs) on my 16 track Fostex VF-160EX to a DAW on a Macbook Pro like Garageband or Reaper? Am I able to use the ADAT outs for that purpose? What would I need to transfer a song so that I can have each individual track within a song/program on the DAW? Is this possible at all?

I know that I can simply send a stereo mix to the Mac via the 1/8 inch input/output jack on the Mac. But, can I send individual tracks?

If not,how successful might I be in manually recording each track to individual tracks on garageband and have them sync up correctly? If anyone has experience with this, it would be much appreciated.

Eh, I don't think anything was easy back then. No experience with this model, but I don't mind doing the eight "to tape" outs on my older model - dmt8vl. The 160EX may very well do that over ADAT. You probably could have tried that already. My older 8-track is optical s/pdif, which is only 2-track, but I can send any two tracks, or, the 2-buss

Yes, you could do it with ADAT - but you'll need an audio interface with ADAT input capability. I definitely would not recommend sending 1 or 2 tracks out at a time to the 1/8" input on the MAC - you would be doing a D-A and A-D conversion on each one and chances are the sound card is not that great and may only do 16 bit conversion.
You could burn the tracks to a CD (the Fostex has a burner, right?) and then out of the CD into the MAC (or you may need an external CD/DVD drive if it doesn't have one).

Back