transfer tracks directly to flash drive?

smg

I've been looking at a bunch of digital portastudios and trying to find one that will let me plug a little flash drive into the USB port and transfer tracks directly to it instead of having to run a cable into the computer to do this..any info appreciated thanks....

I've been looking at a bunch of digital portastudios and trying to find one that will let me plug a little flash drive into the USB port and transfer tracks directly to it instead of having to run a cable into the computer to do this..any info appreciated thanks....

AFAIK most of these units store songs (as multitrack?) on an SDHC card so you could pull that and plug that into the PC if it is so equipped, most are not (I have just retired a EI Systems XP machine that had all the card slots in the front. They never bloody worked!) . However you can buy a card reader off the market for £2 and they seem to work on everything. I also paid about £10 for a USB 3.0 card reader.

But TBH I know little about these portastudio jobbies and seem to recall getting MULTITRACK info onto a PC is a bit of a bind?

Dave.

My Boss BR-800 was a great little machine, but it didn't store its onboard info as WAV files. They had to be transferred to the PC by a Boss WAV converter program. If other stand-alone machines work that way, I can't see any way round that.

I've never owned one that didn't use its own proprietary formatting for data, so you still needed some additional software to translate it into something useful, but then I haven't bought one for over a decade because computers.

I haven't used a porta-studio beyond my Tascam 246 cassette based 4-tracker with 6 channel mixer... fine unit for it's day. But looking at the more modern digital porta-studio's, they always seem to come bundled with DAW recording software. I'd imagine that whatever package could allow you to transfer your porta-studio tracks into a PC with whatever bundles DAW software, so no need to fret about getting additiona software to convert anything...that is, unless you want to buy the FULL version of the DAW software, in which the bundles never give you.

Back