Tips on soundinterface

perik

I need a new sound interface. I used to use m-box but now i need to update. I dont need so many inputs. my criterias are:

- 1 or 2 inputs
- xlr
- phantompower
- preamp that sounds decent
- no powerplug, driven from usb or firewire
- pricerange 50-150 euro

Im using mac

any suggestions?

thanks

The Audient Id4* gets a terrific rep in this month's (Dec) Sound on Sound. They are also giving a big thumbs up to the "gen ll" Focusrites.

*I am however ideologically opposed to AI's with only one mic input!

Dave.

I too have been pondering this and the Steinberg UR22mkII is looking a possibility. The guy at GAK (UK suppliers) was suggesting Focusrite Scarlett. The base version of that has no headphone mix adjustment which I like when, for example, jamming an acoustic guitar lead onto existing. There was a suggestion somewhere (maybe on this forum) that the Yamaha preamps in the Steinberg are more natural and less coloured than the Scarlett. The audient iD4 looked possible as did the Presonus i2. How easily does the Presonus run on Cubase? Do some interfaces have better mic/instrument preamps that mean they can charge more for less functionality? Also - How does more recently released hardware compare with the ageing Omega? I'm not really fussed about the free software as I already have Cubase. The UR22 seems to tick a lot of boxes - it also has midi just in case I end up composing some parts on keys. How good is the Steinberg UR22? Cheers

The UR22 has been a very dark horse. The mk1 got a very good rep' when it was reviewed in Sound on Sound with a special mention about the very clean mic amps*. Since that time nothing bad about the AI has come to my attention and in the AI world, No News is definitely Good News!

Steinberg have since gone on to improve the unit (TBFair so have F'rite but then the 2i2 NEEDED fixing! As you say, no MIDI and that lack is I think the height of beancounting meanness. )

I keep looking at S/H shops for UR22 to try one out. Bit if a hobby of mine! Had a US 122, US144, Ally' i02 and F'rite 8i6 from my local Cash Gennies. Saw an Akai EIE a few weeks ago and would LURVE to try one but car and roof have set me back £1500 recently so could not justify the ton!

*I would take any and all comment about AI mic pres with a large dose of NaCl VERY few people here are able to make objective tests (or if they are they never fekkin; do!) MOST pres on MOST AIs are very good, even the sub 80 quid Alesis i02 is very usable. A Coles ribbon at 3 mtrs from a spinnet would be a challenge for most but then WHO has a quiet enough room?

Dave.

Back