Time to upgrade M-Audio Delta 44 PCI audio interface?

ldolamore

I've used a Delta 44 PCI 24-bit/96kHz audio interface since I began home recording on computer years ago. I run my mic and electric guitar/bass into a Focusrite ISA One (of course not simultaneously) and output that to the Delta. The Delta outputs to JBL LSR305 monitors. Using Reaper as DAW and my computer is powerful/fast.

The Delta sounds good with zero perceivable latency but being that it's all I've ever used or heard, and it's an old card, I figure the technology should have improved since the Delta was new. Would I hear noticeable sound improvement by upgrading to a modern interface (no more than $500)? I guess that any upgrade at this price would probably be USB. I've not used a USB interface but have read plenty about latency so that's a concern. But maybe the Delta is still relevant?

I have a Delta 66 and thought about installing it in another machine I have that uses Windows Vista Home (64 bit) - and found no drivers for it. So you may have to upgrade the Delta the next time you upgrade the computer itself, anyway.

Right now I'm scratching my head, because I'd like to continue using the Delta 66 but wanted to upgrade my OS on the recording rig from Windows XP to something from the current century. I may have to move to another interface. Bummer.

I do have a firewire interface on a Mackie Onyx mixer that could work, but frankly I've never spent much time with it. I bought it when I had pretty much dialed in my live recording tricks with an AKAI DPS and was using the mixer as a live FOH unit. Trying to do too many things at once was making me crazy and I simplified the live recordings to a few tracks, which worked well. I guess that means its time to do the firewire thing and let the Delta live in a museum. I hate doing that - it's been an incredibly stable unit.

Last edited:
I'm still pondering this. Hoping to get a bit more feedback from those who know. Maybe the M-Audio Delta 44 is so old that no one has experience with or can remember how good/bad it functions relative to new interfaces. I've been considering the RME Babyface Pro but just can't quite convince myself that this will be noticeably better than my old Delta 44 interface. I suppose I could buy the RME to test and return it if not what I'd hoped for, but that seems wrong somehow.

I stepped up from a Delta 44 to an RME FireFace UCX. I have to hand it to RME, their converters are pretty damn good, and they're fast. I can live-monitor a track that's being sent back out to a hardware compressor and only end up with about 12-15ms of latency. That's for 2 round trips through the interface. I think that's pretty impressive. And the converters are good enough that it doesn't degrade the signal by any appreciable amount (at least not to my ears). Plus the preamps are very clean and detailed. That can be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you're going for. They're not "color" preamps, they're almost clinically accurate.

I loved my Delta, it was rock solid, stable, and fast. But I wanted more inputs/outputs, more routing options, etc. I don't regret the move at all. Of any migration to make, RME makes it very painless. They're also rock solid, stable and fast. Flawless installation, great drivers, and comparable/slightly better latency than the Delta. Not too shabby for a USB device to compete with a PCI card in the latency department.

I wouldn't expect an earth-shattering improvement, but if you can get a BabyFace from a place with a good return policy, there's not much to lose by giving it a try.

I have 3 2496 cards, 2 in one PC, one in another. I am pretty sure the technology and drives are much the same as the 44 and 66 cards?
Yes, PDQuick but the lowest setting on my cards is 64 samples and that of the Native instruments Komplete Audio 6 32 samples AND IT WORKS at that very low level, though I normally ran at 128 samples and found it plenty fast enough. The KA6 latency is the lowest and the drivers the most stable you will find on any interface close to $400 IMHO and, as Mr T said, you would need to go RME to better it. And bonus! The Ka6 has two extra line input so pre amp can go there. Four tracks plus MIDI!

Re Delta cards and OSes? I have found W10 works with a 2496 (w7/64 is fine) but I have only JUST got that working and have had no time to shake things down.

Dave.

I've had zero trouble with my Delta 44 through various versions of Windows, starting with XP up to my current Win7 64.

I decided the best way to check out a USB interface is to buy one. Brilliant, yes? I considered the RME Babyface Pro but before spending that kind of money I went with a Steinberg UR22 MkII. I realize that is not a Babyface Pro but mostly I wanted to hear if I could tell a difference from my Delta 44 that I've been using forever. I immediately heard a significant improvement in audio clarity. I tested recording acoustic guitar and the Steinberg is much better than my Delta 44. The often used line "sounds like a blanket was removed from over the speakers" applies. So now I know that the Delta is OK but there are better sounding options, even inexpensive ones! One would hope that technology would improve so that current interfaces are better than my 13 year old Delta, but I didn't know that for fact until now.

I've had zero trouble with my Delta 44 through various versions of Windows, starting with XP up to my current Win7 64.

I decided the best way to check out a USB interface is to buy one. Brilliant, yes? I considered the RME Babyface Pro but before spending that kind of money I went with a Steinberg UR22 MkII. I realize that is not a Babyface Pro but mostly I wanted to hear if I could tell a difference from my Delta 44 that I've been using forever. I immediately heard a significant improvement in audio clarity. I tested recording acoustic guitar and the Steinberg is much better than my Delta 44. The often used line "sounds like a blanket was removed from over the speakers" applies. So now I know that the Delta is OK but there are better sounding options, even inexpensive ones! One would hope that technology would improve so that current interfaces are better than my 13 year old Delta, but I didn't know that for fact until now.

You don't "know that for a fact" now. I have had 2496 interfaces for 10yrs and I an musical son (I solder and earn) have used several other interfaces along with then over the years, a Fast track pro, Tassy 122s and 144s, ESI 1010e, A&H ZED 10 USB and latterly NI KA6 and an 8i6 (but son has not heard the last two)

In no case was either of us struck by any differences, even small ones between the various converters (Tannoy 5As BTW).

Is the perceived improvement due to superior A/D conversion? If so posting parallel recorded samples should show it up. If it is an overall "improvement" harder to specify.

I am not questioning YOUR perception of better quality. Happy for you but many years of reading forums and VERY carefully controlled A/B/C tests in reviews have told me that AI differences are minimal and subjective "likes" can even shift with genre.

So, am I saying the fabulosities that are Prism and Benchmark are fantasy? No but they are only a small improvement (I am told) on middle of road gear and even then you need a fabulous set of monitors and room to tell, plus a pristine source and performance.

Should have said! The 44 is basically the same "engine" and driver as the 2496 AFAIK.

Dave.

Back