Thunderbolt

seeking

Hi.
Im in the marked for a new interface to my new DAW and the big question is:

Thunderbolt, USB 2 or PCi.....?

(been really happy with my audiophile 2496, but now I want one with 2 in`s)

-einar-

What does your computer have.

I think firewire is probably still more common than thunderbolt in audio interfaces, but thunderbolt is FW compatible, so keep that in mind.

Doesn't the 24/96 have two ins?

PCI-e is still faster, not many people realise that as well. Thunderbolt 2 is amazing but not enough things support it yet, I am using a USB2 interface with no latency problems, the audient iD22

What does your computer have.

I think firewire is probably still more common than thunderbolt in audio interfaces, but thunderbolt is FW compatible, so keep that in mind.

Doesn't the 24/96 have two ins?

This is the back of the card:
audiophile_2496.jpg

Is there something Im missing regarding the possibilety to record 2 mics on two seperat tracks...?
Nothing would be better if i can do that with this card :-)

-einar-

Well, you have two RCA input which are going to be line level.
If you rig up a two channel preamp with line output, you're laughing. :)

Keep in mind those inputs are unbalanced, though.

On top of that you have SPdif input. That's two channel digital.
If you can fin a two channel interface with spdif output, that's give you 4 mic inputs.

As good as the 2496 was, for the cost of any 2 channel pre amp worth having, you could have a USB interface with two mic pre amps and zero latency direct monitoring. That's the direction I'd go rather than messing around with unbalanced phono/RCA inputs and outputs.

As for the choice of Thunderbolt, USB or whatever...2 inputs is an absolute dawdle in data terms so simple USB will be more than fine. I only worry about faster interfaces (I also have an ageing Firewire) when you get above 16 simultaneous tracks or so.

Last edited:
Hi

I see now that all my years i`v been looking at this card the wrong way. I have been thinking that the RCA in as a left/right stereo connection to my mackie mixer.
As used now, i can benefit from stereoeffects(like V-amp) in the chane to the card, but i only use the stereo for jamming/songwriting. When recorded i always turn track ot mono. If i have understood u guys correct i could have used the L/R RCA as 2 in`s in mono.
To achieve this thou, i would have had to get myself a 2 channel breakout box with preamps...right...? or is there some way i can use this card with my mackie :

mackie+dfx12+mixer+analogique+12+entrees.JPG

and then record 2 mics on 2 tracks...?

-einar-
NORWAY

Plug two mikes into two channels. Pan one 100% left and the other 100% right. The rca jacks become two mono sources.

+1 to this.
Left and right outputs on the mixer are separate from each other so if you use hard pan on inputs one and two you'll be good to go.
You can use the main outputs or, if you don't have the cables, the tape outputs.
You inputs are unbalanced anyway so you'll not be missing anything. ;)

If you ever have issues with noise and want to go balanced, you could pick up a stereo preamp with s/pdif output.

+1 to everything above...you didn't tell us you had a mixer!

One extra step...you have to tell whatever DAW you're using to record in mono and to put one of the 2496 channels in one track and the other one in a second track. Exactly how you do this depends on your DAW.

+1 to everything above...you didn't tell us you had a mixer!

One extra step...you have to tell whatever DAW you're using to record in mono and to put one of the 2496 channels in one track and the other one in a second track. Exactly how you do this depends on your DAW.

cubase SX 3 :-)

Back