Thinkin of an alternative.

Scrubucket7

If I buy a yamaha mg16/4 mixer and something like a delta 1010lt, would i be able to record in some program (recomendations?) so each channel of the mixer is its own track. I have experience with acid pro, but i realize you can't record multiple tracks at a time (please correct me if im wrong.)

I just wanted to do this because i think it would be easier and more versatile than recording onto somekind of standalone 8 track or something.

So yer saying that i got it figured out then? That i can record they way i want to with a good computer, Cubase, the delta 1010lt and a yamaha mg16/4? I obviously know the that I need a decent array of good mics, and all the other crap, the only reason i seem so confused is that ive never tried recording onto a computer, ive always used a 4-track.

The only thing i was thinking that might be a problem are the direct outs on the mixer, are they up to unity gain? or is it before the signal hits the pre-amp?

oh yea, i meant to say, i wanted to be able to record track by track, and then mix each mic seperately (how the latest public mix contest was done.)
Unless of course there is an easier way to do this. Aren't there some fancy mixers that plug right into usb? Can you get each channel to be its own track like this?

USB 2.0 might have enough bandwidth for 8 channels of audio, but certainly not USB 1.0.

I think the new Onyx mixers from Mackie have an optional computer interface, which might be Firewire or USB 2.0.

The mixer you mention has 4 busses, I think, so you'll only be able to get 4 separate channels out of it unless it has direct outs for each track or inserts for each track.

The Delta 1010LY will get you eight usable analog Line Ins, and I think it has two mic preamps on it as well, meaning you could use four outputs from the mixer and plug two mics directly into the 1010LT and get 6 tracks...

So...if i sent the bass drum to a buss, snare drum to a buss, the overheads to a stereo bus, and the toms to a stereo bus, would i be able to mix all of the channels? Would there be a problem with stereo busses? Would i have to use two of the inputs (one for for left, one for right)?

For around the same money as an MG16/4+1010LT you can get a Presonus firepod that gives you 8 preamps, a/d/a convertors and 8 channels of analog audio (+ s/pdif & midi) into your computer via firewire. So you can unplug it from your desktop, stick it into your laptop and take it on the road.

I had an MG12/4 and I find the presonus preamps are a bit of a step up from the Yamaha. Also 6 of the LT connections are unbalanced, while the firepod will take balanced or unbalanced feeds. Some people also prefer having the a/d convertors outside the computer case.

Having said all that, the 16/4 and 1010LT will do all you want it to do. Even though the 16/4 is only a 4 bus mixer, you can use the inserts on channels 1-8 as extra outputs, which gives you plenty

Back