Are these specs good for recording?

brand0nized

I'm looking at a Dell XPS 14z with these specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
2nd Gen Intel Core i5 (2.5 GHz)
Intel HD Graphics 3000
6GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
Waves Maxx Audio 3 (don't really know what that is, a driver perhaps?)
500GB 7200RPM hard drive

Is this good for multitrack recording? I run my 2-channel interface, mixing at max 16 tracks together, with some midi virtual instruments, and atleast 3 plugins on each track. Would this suffice?

The Maxx Audio is the onboard soundcard, I assume, which you wouldn't be using for recording anyway...

I have similar questions, so we'll see who happens along and answers yours!

The Maxx Audio is the onboard soundcard, I assume, which you wouldn't be using for recording anyway...

Ahhh, so you're saying that it doesn't necessarily matter what sound card my chosen laptop has, because my audio will be dealt with by my interface and ASIO?

Right. The computer specs you have are fine (almost any new computer will work for audio recording). The built-in soundcard is not used when you use an external audio interface - it becomes your soundcard.

Right. The computer specs you have are fine (almost any new computer will work for audio recording). The built-in soundcard is not used when you use an external audio interface - it becomes your soundcard.

So does it matter what brand of laptop I get because I won't use their built-in sound card, or does it matter because of the way each brand handles the audio internally?

Doesn't matter as much as you think besides build quality and quality parts. That is a decent set up for recording if you add a decent audio interface.

So does it matter what brand of laptop I get because I won't use their built-in sound card, or does it matter because of the way each brand handles the audio internally?

I don't get what you mean, but laptop brand itself matters for build quality, reputation, customer support etc.

It doesn't matter at all in relation to built in audio, and equally the brand of built in audio doesn't matter.
You'll completely bypass all of that if you use an audio interface and speakers/headphones.

Some people even completely disable built in audio in bios to avoid potential conflicts.

Awesome! Great tips! So do you guys recommend any PC brands that have quality parts, bang for the buck kind of thing?

Back