Are there techniques to heal dropouts?

Well obviously the machine is never truly idle, but what I mean is that I'm not doing any heavy lifting whatever. I am letting the machine sit there and do its own thing while I go away and have a cup of tea. And when I do that with Latencymon running, Latencymon tells me that I get big delays in interrupt to process latency, ISR routine execution time and DPC routine execution time. When I have my DAW running, even with no demanding plugins and few audio tracks, these become very obvious as dropouts.

I don't know what is the real issue causing all that...but here's a quote from another forum (Magix/Samplitude) where a very similar discussion was started, and where LastencyMon was registering all kinds of problems. You might consider some what this guy said...(and I'm quoting him here with his knowledge, but I don't think he will mind, it's all for a good cause). He is responding to someone in that forum and relating his own experiences.

This is the first Win 10 laptop that I have had. (I reverted to Win 7 on my dekstop, and will disconnect it from the Internet when the time comes.) My 12-year old HP Pavillion was retired simply because it is heavy and runs on XP, and I do want to connect to the Internet when I travel to record. "DPC Latency Checker" ran fine under XP, even while also running Samplitude, so when I had to change to LatencyMon for the same information on Win 10, I assumed that it would run OK while Samplitude was working. I had no indication to the contrary until I read this thread.

I spent some time soak testing this morning. At 96kHz I can record 10 tracks for over an hour without any error messages from Samplitude at 1024 samples latency with the RME UFX convertor. This delay, which is necessary to defeat the latency of the Zenbook caused by ACPI.sys, doesnt matter to me because I do "line-in" monitoring withTotalMix and Digicheck. When I turned on LatencyMon and ran the same test, Samplitude reported 1510 errors in about 25 minutes.
As Matthias Carstens of RME wrote me: "...unless Asus wakes up and offers a better behaving update I fear you are doomed. ..."

Apart from this, the little machine does all that one can expect from it, so I will live with the 1024 sample delay!

It's almost coming across like it's a LatencyMon/Win10 issue...?
I can't corroborate, becuase I've chosen to stay with Win7...and I think I'm better off.

Back