Is there a graphic EQ with pannable bands?

brassplyer

Does anyone make a software graphic EQ say 10, 20 or more bands where each individual band can be independently panned? I.e. imagine a typical graphic EQ where under each band slider is a pan control.

I've seen a video (IIRC) where in mastering they just put two (linear-phase EQs, again IIRC) on the stereo track and assigned just the L and R to each, i.e., they acted only on one side or the other. And it was for just tiny bits to try and, in effect, move where something was in the stereo field by matching cuts on one side with boosts on another.

Not knowing what your intention is, I can't, myself, imagine you'd want to be messing with more than a few bands with something like that (whether a single, pannable EQ or two independent ones). If it's that messed up send it back for remix.

I've seen a video (IIRC) where in mastering they just put two (linear-phase EQs, again IIRC) on the stereo track and assigned just the L and R to each, i.e., they acted only on one side or the other. And it was for just tiny bits to try and, in effect, move where something was in the stereo field by matching cuts on one side with boosts on another.

Not knowing what your intention is, I can't, myself, imagine you'd want to be messing with more than a few bands with something like that (whether a single, pannable EQ or two independent ones). If it's that messed up send it back for remix.

winner.jpg

Many of the "stereo" plug ins have a "link/unlink" feature. Unlink L and R and presto , left and right graphic eq. Izotope stuff also has the abiltity to do left/right and mid/side separately. I haven't used waves Q10 in while but I think it has the link/unlink

To be pannable implies individual bands- as in a multi-band compressor/eq or a crossover would be.

And natural curiosity would lead to, why?

Hmm...If you 'pan' EQ then you will end up with an instrument having a different spectrum moment to moment in the two channels. This will result in perceived positional shifts in the instrument.

Put it another way, a guitar say, would move about as the tune went up and down the fretboard!

But perhaps that is the effect the OP wants to achieve? Cannot think why FFS!

Dave.

Hmm...If you 'pan' EQ then you will end up with an instrument having a different spectrum moment to moment in the two channels. This will result in perceived positional shifts in the instrument.

Put it another way, a guitar say, would move about as the tune went up and down the fretboard!
I've heard that kind of thing when using an unmatched pair of mics in a stereo configuration. Had me scratching my head for a while! It was a violin-viola duet, with standing players mic'd at enough distance to allow some free movement. They sounded like they were moving around, amost changing places! Sometimes putting the best mic (you think) for a solo instrument on each one doesn't result in a better recording if you can't close mic. EQ could tame it a little but there was so much in the room in this case it was a lesson learned. Had to settle for a lot less stereo spread than I wanted.

Back