are there any packages that will...

Phil02

I am in a band and I want to record higher quality songs than what i am getting now with my stand alone 4track casset recorder. I have a good computer (800megertz, 128mb ram, 45 gig HD) and I want tobe able to record at least 8 track songs onto it and burn a cd(yeah, I already have a CD burner) Are there any packages that include the software and hardware that I need, if so what or if there are like hardware packages w/o software but you know software that is good tell me that too. If there are not any packages that dont include the mixers and such, then could you give me combinations of items that would work well together (includeing what types of cables you used and such) I am on about a $500 budget and I am very new to researching the componets necessary. Any help would be greatly appricated.
Thanks,
Phil
(please forgive spelling, not one of my best subjects)

ok, well i have a decent mic (sounds fine for vocals or gituar/bass)
I have a new question though, would it be smarter to just buy a good mixer and cables and hook it into my sound blaster live card rather than getting a mic preamp and a new sound card, or is that just not an option since SBlive seems to be a mass market sound card. I am thinking I am probably going to need a better one, although I would rather not shell out the bucks if I dont have to.
Thanks,
Phil

the big variable is how many tracks you want to be able to record simultaneously....$500 is a slim budget, but luckily, im the king of cheapskates....with that budget, you wont get commercial CD quality, but nice sounding demos are possible.....

also, do you have access to any types of gear now such as mixers, preamps, etc?

well, I suppose 2 tracks min. would be sufficent for the drums (1 for kick, 1 for the rest) but i would perffer 4 so I could record the drums w/ 3 tracks and bass/gituar with it.

O sorry,
I have no mixers or mic preamps or anything like that, and were just a local band right now, so I just want to put or songs on cd's and have people able to hear it to get our name out, not to like take our cds to a record store or anything.
Thanks

check out aardvark, Staudio cport, delta 1010LT,and the maudio omni then. all these cards have built in preamps. or spend a quick $30-100 and get a used behringer mixer off ebay.

OK,but will I need to replace my SB live, or can I keep it and hook a mixer up to it and get not quite as high quality? Or do you need something elese? (sorry I know I asking really stupid questions but I just started looking into this a couple days ago)

Back