Temp files suck!

RawDepth

Does anyone know of multitrack recording software (for my PC DAW) that records directly to disc?

The one I have now initially records to a temp file, then after pressing STOP you must save the data to disc. A manual step which can take 10 to 20 minutes when you have some 24 high-res tracks from a live event, each an hour long. I want the software to write directly to wav file in real time so I don't have to spend by entire break naming/saving files.

I don't need editing or midi capability, but I do need at least 24 tracks minimum.

Thanks,
RawDepth

AFAIK, N-Track records directly to wav files on the disc. I'm sure there's some buffereing going on while it's tracking, but they eventually get written to disc before you stop recording. Are you using Audacity? I've recently been playing around with it, and I seem to remember that it has to write out the data to disc once you hit stop. It also saved the the data in some weird format. I like N-Track because each track is just a plain old wave file sitting on your disc. It's cheap too, although not as cheap as Audacity.

You didn't mention anything about your price range, but Cakewalk Sonar writes directly to disk as you record.

most programs should do this for you...definitely the reputable programs will. Pro Tools writes to disk the armed track even if you're just playing the track!
;) :p

Back