Tell me how to record through my comp and more :)

DJTonyMOMO

Hello everyone. Well I have some questions. I am interested in recording through my comp. I need a detailed description of what I need in the comp, what program I shoudl use and how do I hook it all up through my Behringer mixer. I have tons of equipment that I run through that mixer right now. And I was wondering how this all works. can some please help me out.
You can e-mail me at Rawcut@about.com too with the info.

Thanks alot. Please help me

5537869.jpg

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/318/dj_tony_momo.html

Do you just want to be able to record say a DJ set or do you want to be able to record your own songs and such?

What kind of music do you have in mind?

What is your budget?

What do you already have besides the behringer board?

Do you have any mics?

Do you want to use midi?

What kind of computer do you have?

What software do you have?

The question is very broad and you don't give us enough info.

DJTM, you need to provide us with some more info. :)

I need a detailed description of what I need in the comp
We need to know what are the specs on your comp. Do you have a comp. If no comp, then how much can you spend on comp.

What kind of additional equipment do you have? How do you have it connected?

How many INS/OUTS will you need?

What kind of music are you creating?

MIDI or Analogue or both?

Most important...Your budget? :D

Share some more info with us. :)

We will steer you in the correct direction. :)

You might want to do a search on this BBS for more information on your software options.

We can give you links to demo versions or most of the regularly used programs.

peace... :D

spin

As of now I am not using a comp. I want to build comp of recording purposes.

Right now I produce Hip-Hop, R@B, and some House music

For a list of the current equipment I use now Check out this link to my equipment page on my website

http://rawcutproductions.homestead.com/equipmentlist.html

My price range to build a comp is about $800.00
Not sure what I want sepend of the recording software

See I have a comp in my house now, but it's mainly used for the family. so i just want to leave that one alone and build my own for my recording needs

Right now i AM JUST BASCIALLY RECORDING ANALOG

$800 wont get you very far.

Barebone systems go for around $600 (Athlon 1.2Ghz, 256Mb RAM, 20Gb HD, video card, CD-ROM, case and power supply). You'll need a decent soundcard (Audiophile 2496 - $150), CD burner ($100), a decent monitor (17" minimum - $150)

The total comes out to be $1000 just for something on the simple side. That does not include the price of the OS which can go from $80-300 depending on whether you want Windows 98 or 2000/XP.

I wouldn't spend less than $1200 on a system for digital audio. You may find good deals at BestBuy on consumer type computers, but I wouldn't recommend those either because they usually use cheaper parts and are tougher to upgrade.

Yeah I believe your right

so i am going to need about 1200.00 to get started?

I can do that. But what program should I run to record and edit.

Are you looking to do just digital audio? I'm sure people will have their own opinions, but I have been a Cakewalk user for years. Sonar does digital audio as well as MIDI. It has some cool ACID audio loop features that might be usefull for the type of music you are doing.

Other options would be Nuendo, Cubase, ACID Pro and stuff like that. I can't really comment on those because I have never really used them.

Ok sounds good

Ok thanks for the help man.

Actually I am looking for a program that has those type of prerecording Drum loops or sounds. My music is my music. I hate those programs that have all those drum loops and presampled junk :)

do any this programs you mentioned have that?

Also How do I hook my behringer Mixing into my comp?
I know this question may sound stupid to some people on here but I am only just learning about all if this computer based recording. Thanks

Check the pic below its me from a while ago doing a local party:)

Attachments

• tonydjequipment_1_[1].jpg
    tonydjequipment_1_[1].jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 19
n00b helping n00b :)

ok i am about at the same point as you are as far as computer recording goes, cept maybe the fact that i have asked some of your questions. as far as building a computer goes only thing i can tell you is that you need as much ram as possible, a 7200 rpm hard drive, the fastest processor you can afford. :) as far as recording programs go i found sound forge to work well. as far as how to hook up your computer to your mixer you will need a rca-1/4in or 1/8in depending on your soundcard just plug that from one of the outputs to your line in on the soundcard. depending on what you like and what you are planning on doing here is what i have put together so far as what i am going to be doing maybe it will help a little and maybe you can help suggest a few things to me. i am going to record all my records onto my hard drive doing fx, samples, ect ect before hand so that they are saved with all that good stuff already in the song :) then using a computer mixer program like traktor (also don't have this link) it pretty much replaces your turntables and mixer. i will probably only use the program when i record, and i will still practice on wax. spin has alot of great links and if you ask nicely i'm sure he'll drop them for you. ones like ohh i don't know maybe the hitsquad one and the sonic foundry one (hint hint spin :P ) anyways i hope this help a little. the hit squad one is great. also you can do alot af research on this site i know the good information is hard to find sometimes but there is alot of great advise already posted on this site for the questios you are asking

jason

"dance while the record spins"

Thanks for the help BUT...........

You kinda lost me. Who are you exactley talking about. I asked certain questions and it seems like your anwsering someones elses qurestoon. Help me OUt :)

I thnk you need to read up more on the basics before you can understand the answers to your questions. Read the primers on this site's main page and use the search function for specific questions. We cannot repeat the same answers for every new person that arrives.

Back