Tascam US600 - drivers and reboot problem under Windows 7

ry1633

Hi all,

I own Tascam US600 which I use with Sonar X3 in a WIndows 7/64bit setup.

Lately in the past few weeks I've been tweaking it for latency settings and I've had to reinstall the driver a few times. But recently, every time I bring my computer out of hibernation with the US600 plugged in - the drivers will fail. In Device Manager there will always be a "Warning" icon with a message that says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

This happens every time I want to use the US600. - why? thanks for your help...

Hi all,

I own Tascam US600 which I use with Sonar X3 in a WIndows 7/64bit setup.

Lately in the past few weeks I've been tweaking it for latency settings and I've had to reinstall the driver a few times. But recently, every time I bring my computer out of hibernation with the US600 plugged in - the drivers will fail. In Device Manager there will always be a "Warning" icon with a message that says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

This happens every time I want to use the US600. - why? thanks for your help...

Sucks you are having this issue. :(

First off, it is never a good idea to have your computer 'hibernate'. Almost any external audio interface will be disconnected because of this.

I have heard that there is some issue with the US600 and 800 drivers as far as something called 'memory leaks' I am not even sure what that means myself, but as I remember it has something to do with restarting the device after rebooting your OS. Or something of that order.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more info. It has been quite a while since I owned the interface.

+1 to not "hibernating" - you can disable that easy enough though.

Another thing to check that might make a difference (not sure though) is making sure your USB ports don't have power management enabled.
Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 8.48.45 PM.png
That will at least make sure that your interface doesn't lose it's connection.

I tried turning Power Management back on - on all the USB hubs and that didn't affect anything. Still same problem.

+1 to not "hibernating" - you can disable that easy enough though.

Another thing to check that might make a difference (not sure though) is making sure your USB ports don't have power management enabled.
View attachment 94755
That will at least make sure that your interface doesn't lose it's connection.

Are you using a wallwart power supply for the Tascam (USB power management won't affect it if you are). But the advice above about disabling 'hibernation' is valid. Turn it hibernation. If you turn off the computer when not in use, or just leave it on, the problem shouldn't happen.

Yeah I am, its a wall wart into a rackmounted power strip. So should I not use hibernation at all? Just a note: I've used hibernation forever, and not had this problem until about a week ago. Never happened before then, and I've always used hibernation.

Then, what should I do? Since my machine is a tad old, it takes a bit longer (not bad, but not good either) to boot up. So waiting for it to boot up from scratch all the time would start to become unreasonable.

Are you using a wallwart power supply for the Tascam (USB power management won't affect it if you are). But the advice above about disabling 'hibernation' is valid. Turn it hibernation. If you turn off the computer when not in use, or just leave it on, the problem shouldn't happen.

Yeah I am, its a wall wart into a rackmounted power strip. So should I not use hibernation at all? Just a note: I've used hibernation forever, and not had this problem until about a week ago. Never happened before then, and I've always used hibernation.

Then, what should I do? Since my machine is a tad old, it takes a bit longer (not bad, but not good either) to boot up. So waiting for it to boot up from scratch all the time would start to become unreasonable.

Then leave it on?

I don't have problems with my tascam AI when using SLEEP if usb power management is disabled. Hibernation sucks.

Back