Tascam US1800 deal

Seems to me based on recent price drops 1800 is getting ready to be replaced. I still think the 1800 is a good deal for the money, but be aware the latest and greatest must be ready to come out.

David, what you said about constant reboot/power cycling of the US-1800 -- so true! I'm probably getting glitchy behavior once a day and forced to power cycle, every few days a full PC reboot (normally I keep mine on so I can remote in from work). Otherwise I'm still very pleased with the interface for the price.

Check power settings. Even if it is on superhigh, double check those settings for USB turnoff, harddrive turnoff. Make sure they are not being turned off by a some default setting. That is what I found with my system and since then, my troubles have been greatly diminished.

Check power settings. Even if it is on superhigh, double check those settings for USB turnoff, harddrive turnoff. Make sure they are not being turned off by a some default setting. That is what I found with my system and since then, my troubles have been greatly diminished.

Solid advice, I'll double check. Pretty sure I've done that already.

It already is out: Product: US-16x08 | TASCAM
With the upgrades in monitoring and additional ins and outs I am tempted to get one. I already have a tascam us-1800 though and I don't think that the difference is enough to justify an upgrade.

The fact they had to include this as a selling point is a tell about the quality of the existing product(s)...

And new drivers, re-written from the ground up, provide beter compatibility and performance on Mac, Windows and iPad recording systems.

On that note, has anyone here tried the latest ASIO4ALL drivers with the US-1800? I might give it a whirl.

On that note, has anyone here tried the latest ASIO4ALL drivers with the US-1800? I might give it a whirl.

Remember, the ASIO4ALL is to mimic ASIO and really is lower solution than the original drivers. Make sure there are no later drivers for the Tascam. Once I had done a couple of tweaks on my computer, the Tascam stopped giving me issues.

Remember, the ASIO4ALL is to mimic ASIO and really is lower solution than the original drivers. Make sure there are no later drivers for the Tascam. Once I had done a couple of tweaks on my computer, the Tascam stopped giving me issues.

Yeah, you're right about asio4all. I'll probably not.

I'm using the latest drivers from the Tascam site, which was from 2011. :-/

I had already disabled power saving on the usb hubs.

Not sure what other tweaking needs to be done. My prior usb interface worked solidly, just had more latency than I wanted. I mean, I get issues once a day just playing a MP3 in media player. Power cycle and it's fine for a while, but eventually starts acting up again.

Once you go into power settings, go into advance power settings. Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Power Options->Change Advance Settings

double check nothing is doing what you don't want it to, like turning off USB or drives. Those are the two biggest issues with USB devices. Just check it make sure there is not any surprises there. I thought I had mine set and found those set to be turned on. Once I turned them off, no issues.

Yeah, you're right about asio4all. I'll probably not.

I'm using the latest drivers from the Tascam site, which was from 2011. :-/

I had already disabled power saving on the usb hubs.

Not sure what other tweaking needs to be done. My prior usb interface worked solidly, just had more latency than I wanted. I mean, I get issues once a day just playing a MP3 in media player. Power cycle and it's fine for a while, but eventually starts acting up again.

Are you running W7? There's a setting which does a backup of all music files you play, eventually it fills up and causes a system freeze up. Rebooting starts the cycle again.

I'll likely grab a US1800 before years end (wish it were an instant rebate, rather than mail in). The new US-16x08 lacks S/PDIF which I do use on occasion with a few pieces of gear.

I did the mail in and it was pretty fast and straight forward. Really no hassle other than having to mail it in.

The rebate was actually the best part of my US-1800 purchase - literally the fastest of the hundred rebates I've done in my lifetime, 2 weeks! lol

Are you running W7? There's a setting which does a backup of all music files you play, eventually it fills up and causes a system freeze up. Rebooting starts the cycle again.

I'll need a little more to go on (as I've never heard of this before). There is a cache used by Sonar for keeping temp copies of the project files, and that can grow and use up hard drive space (I'm fine in that regard), but no mysterious cache that the interface somehow uses...

Once you go into power settings, go into advance power settings. Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Power Options->Change Advance Settings

double check nothing is doing what you don't want it to, like turning off USB or drives. Those are the two biggest issues with USB devices. Just check it make sure there is not any surprises there. I thought I had mine set and found those set to be turned on. Once I turned them off, no issues.

Hybrid sleep was on, but all sleep related settings were already disabled and usb selective suspend was already off as well. It doesn't appear anything related was enabled.

I did google a bit and found that I'm not alone with bugginess with the Tascam.

Yesterday was a good example of the nature of the issues I'm having... in the morning I played a couple MP3s, went to work (PC left idling all day), then when I was back in the evening I went to play some music with windows media player and the output was messed up (severe clipping/distortion). Powered off/on the Tascam, and like magic everything was fine.

Any chance this is just a bad unit?

I do think it has something to do with the drivers. But after making a few changes in my W7 settings, I have not had the issues any longer.

You may want to find the article in SoS (I think that is where I found it) tuning your PC. There is also a posting on this site as well, but I am not sure where it is at. Most were just little tweaks, but I am not seeing the issues I had in the past. But glitch issues after long idles of the computer was one of the symptoms.

I'll need a little more to go on (as I've never heard of this before). There is a cache used by Sonar for keeping temp copies of the project files, and that can grow and use up hard drive space (I'm fine in that regard), but no mysterious cache that the interface somehow uses...

Yes, I remember this was a Windows cache problem, it may have been solved with an MS update.

I'm fully patched, even recently ran the windows update readiness package to be sure. I'm familiar with the tweaks articles floating around, and being someone who does IT work for a living can tell you most of the suggestions are bunk. The real solution for true efficiency is to dedicate the recording computer to doing ONLY recording/production. No internet, nothing. Unfortunately that isn't a reality for most of us.

Anyway, it seems like I'm either heading for ... return/replacement of the unit (to see if it happens with the replacement as well), living with the issue, or reinstalling windows (a 6-7 hour chore).

Back