Tascam US-800

thewaitinggame

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this usb audio interface or if anyone owns it. I am looking for an audio interface for recording and this seems like something im looking for. The problem is I can't find reviews or anything else on this product. It's my birthday tomorrow and really trying to decide if I should take a chance and buy it, knowing nothing more than the tech specs listed online. My wife will buy it today if I can make a decision. I like that it is compact, has 6 xlr in's, phantom power if I want it, some of the other stuff comparable to other interfaces in the price range. I'm looking in the 250 range and this seems to offer what I need, I'd be upgrading from a tape 4 track. I also have a sucky gaming audio card that was ok to use for ideas but it now has so much crackle and pops that it's really unusable. Somthing happened to it I guess. I was first looking at the firepod or the tascam US-1641 but really dont want to spend 400 or more right now and honestly dont need 10 - 12 inputs so thats why im looking at the us 800.

here it is

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US800-USB-AudioMIDI-Interface?sku=485396

Any info at all on this, pros or cons would really be helpful on if I should get this or not. Thanks

I got one and it just arrived. I recommend buying it from someone with a good return policy. I got it from woodwindandbrasswind.com - 45 day return policy. I'm trying to use it with Windows 7 64bit and it doesn't work. Probably a driver problem. I haven't talked to their support folks yet so it's too early to tell if it's junk. I tried an m-audio fastrack too and it didn't work either (that was on an XP machine). People tell me I should switch to a Mac and my problems would go away.

The Tascam 1641 isn't that much more and is a more common interface and has 8 analog inputs.

I'm going to get the 1641 in a few weeks.

I have US-800 and at the mo, it sucks!

I'm working with a Windows XP Professional Editiion with 3.0GHz CPU and 2GB RAM but this device keeps messing with the Windows itself.
The source of the problem is the driver file that came with US-800 and I've confirmed that with Tascam support. They also told me that
they don't have any plans to fix it any time soon, so if you buy US-800, you'll very likely end up not using it.

Oh, one more thing about the windows driver. Because of it, you'll have to unplug US-800's power line to reboot it everytime you reboot your pc.
Windows won't automatically recognize US-800 after a reboot. And this really sucks because you'll actually have to disconnect the power cable since
there's no power switch on US-800.

I would suggest any1 to get 1641 instead. I'm back to using it as well and it's hell of a lot more stable.

Just dug this up cause I'm thinking about picking this thing up now that they're on sale for $100.

Can anybody speak to the device's functionality with Windows 7 now that some time has passed for Tascam to work on drivers? I'm interested to know if its worth getting for a simple starter home recording set up.

Thanks!

Man, I`ve tore the internet a new butthole looking for reviews, info etc on this unit..and after reading countless reviews, threads on various message boards, post etc.. to be honest, I really do not know what to think..
one guy says he had nothing but problems, then another guy says it worked great/perfect right off the bat..and they`d both post about the same OS and general comp specs..
its strange....
Some have said they believe it`s a driver issue, others have reported no driver problems, etc..

at the end of the day though, it seams as if the "majority" anyway, have had success with the unit, and it worked properly for them..

mine is on it`s way now, so hopfully I`ll know how it`s gonna work for me soon..
I`ve already saved countess links to reviews, suggestions on "fixes", updated drivers etc..
the way I see it is, if I do happen have a problem, rather then start looking for the answer on what it might be and how to fix it, while the unit is setting on my desk collecting dust, I`d rather already have an arsinal at my disposal to try and get it working quickly..LOL

anyway, it may take me a few before I`ll really know whats up if i do have problems, as I`m going to try and initially run it on a dirty comp (not recently wiped clean), as I have alot of work related material etc on my comp, and it would take me a while to save it all..

about the only thing I`ll be able to do rght off the bat, is shut down any and all running task that are not an absolute ust....other then that, nothing really, until I get all my junk saved, so I can wipe it..

nothing says posible problems, like trying to install a new audio interface on a internet surfing comp..LOL
we`ll see..

Man, I`ve tore the internet a new butthole looking for reviews, info etc on this unit..and after reading countless reviews, threads on various message boards, post etc.. to be honest, I really do not know what to think..
one guy says he had nothing but problems, then another guy says it worked great/perfect right off the bat..and they`d both post about the same OS and general comp specs..
its strange....
Some have said they believe it`s a driver issue, others have reported no driver problems, etc..

at the end of the day though, it seams as if the "majority" anyway, have had success with the unit, and it worked properly for them..

mine is on it`s way now, so hopfully I`ll know how it`s gonna work for me soon..
I`ve already saved countess links to reviews, suggestions on "fixes", updated drivers etc..
the way I see it is, if I do happen have a problem, rather then start looking for the answer on what it might be and how to fix it, while the unit is setting on my desk collecting dust, I`d rather already have an arsinal at my disposal to try and get it working quickly..LOL

anyway, it may take me a few before I`ll really know whats up if i do have problems, as I`m going to try and initially run it on a dirty comp (not recently wiped clean), as I have alot of work related material etc on my comp, and it would take me a while to save it all..

about the only thing I`ll be able to do rght off the bat, is shut down any and all running task that are not an absolute ust....other then that, nothing really, until I get all my junk saved, so I can wipe it..

nothing says posible problems, like trying to install a new audio interface on a internet surfing comp..LOL
we`ll see..

Well I think we're gonna be in the same boat man, my girlfriend just hinted that she ordered this for me for Christmas. We can try to solve any potential problems together. Sounds like you'll get yours well before I get mine, so good luck to you, keep me posted!

It's all going to be ok guyz. It is only a matter of setup. You are bound to hear a thousand bad review/experiences with any unit. Especially one that is that inexpensive, is going to get every Joe blo, without any experience, or a forum like this to get someone through the process, to post all kinds of flaming reviews.

I have only heard of one occasion where the unit did not work. And I still am not sure that it wasn't a user error. Or possibly a bad unit. It can happen.

Come back here if you have issues. I know I will be glad to help.

LOL...I`m hip...and thanks for the offer of help if theres problems..

now speaking of reviews..I was just browsing a music store, and ran across this "bad" review of an ampifier..
here`s a cut and paste sentence from it...
"Feature:
It is a bummer that the only outs are those newer twist type cables. BUT, they are better quality in the end, although not every speaker has those connectors available. But it shouldn't be an issue with any newer speakers
"

Aparently, he was`nt aware that "those newer twist type cables" (speakon) connectors, can be purchased witn 1/4jacks on the other end, and not only speakers with twisty type connections have to be used....LOL
no big deal really, but I did find it funny..LOL
Anyway, yeah, point is, ya just never know who`s writing the review...could be a complete goofball, that could`nt properly install a ciggarett butt in an ashtray..LOL

I have the Tascam M164UF and the USB died at the 20 month mark, still under warranty, but still off for service for 7 weeks
I have always liked it, except for the fact it wouldn't play MIDI files in Windows Media Player, or any other MIDI program that uses Windows GM sounds with XP. Same goes for the US-122 with XP. They say it works, but NOT. It did work with Vista.
I've mod my PC and upgraded to i7 2600 & Win 7/64 ... who knows what my luck will be.

So far not Good US800

Just dug this up cause I'm thinking about picking this thing up now that they're on sale for $100.

Can anybody speak to the device's functionality with Windows 7 now that some time has passed for Tascam to work on drivers? I'm interested to know if its worth getting for a simple starter home recording set up.

Thanks!

Works sparatically. I got my first ever bluescreen wit this device.I just bought it and will return it. keep dropping out then I have unplug it and plug i back in again....hate it....don't do it!

Works sparatically. I got my first ever bluescreen wit this device.I just bought it and will return it. keep dropping out then I have unplug it and plug i back in again....hate it....don't do it!

Elaborate on your setup. Opinions without a detailed description as to what you are running the gear on, as well as how you have set it up, is just wind in the air. It does not help anyone by giving limited info. In fact, it can give a false sense of instability of a piece of gear, for an unsound reason. Give advice after you have troubleshooted your own situation. I will be happy to help muskey4. :D

I have the Tascam M164UF and the USB died at the 20 month mark, still under warranty, but still off for service for 7 weeks
I have always liked it, except for the fact it wouldn't play MIDI files in Windows Media Player, or any other MIDI program that uses Windows GM sounds with XP. Same goes for the US-122 with XP. They say it works, but NOT. It did work with Vista.
I've mod my PC and upgraded to i7 2600 & Win 7/64 ... who knows what my luck will be.

I'm confused here. Play MIDI files in Windows Media Player? I may have lost you here... Please explain. Maybe I can help.

ZERO problems for me so far..and I`d dare say, it`s pretty much been a plug and play device..on a VERY dirty comp...

running it on windows XP...

As others have said, it will have issues on 64-bit operating systems. The driver has a severe memory leak which will eventually bring your system to a crawl. As well, the device will NOT be automatically recognized upon reboot; you have to physically power off/on once the system is up.

These issues are noted in the release notes of the latest software/driver installation on the TASCAM site within the downloads section.

It sounds great but is a major PITA... I'll probably dump it and go with something else.

So that's why it was only $99 on sale....

Cheers

As others have said, it will have issues on 64-bit operating systems. The driver has a severe memory leak which will eventually bring your system to a crawl. As well, the device will NOT be automatically recognized upon reboot; you have to physically power off/on once the system is up.These issues are noted in the release notes of the latest software/driver installation on the TASCAM site within the downloads section.

It sounds great but is a major PITA... I'll probably dump it and go with something else.

So that's why it was only $99 on sale....

Cheers

I can`t speak as to the 64bit, as I`m running 32...but as far as the reboot thing, is that really that big of a deal?
I mean, once you set down to start recording, how often does one typically shut off their computor and reboot it anyway? plus, it`s only a matter of pulling the plug, then emediatly plugging it back in..

so if ya take the 64bit thing off the table..for $99, I don`t see whats so bad about it? heck, you could just plug it into a power strip or the like, and simply flip the switch after a reboot..which again, I don`t see why people need to be rebooting their comps anyway, unless they have some kind of unrelated computor problem causing them to have to reboot on a regular basis...
as far as that goes..for about $3, you could swing by the hardware, and pick up one of them inline switches, the kind often found on lamp cords, and just rig up an on/off switch..LOL..then it`d be about a $103 interface, with only a 64bit issue..LOL

I honestly don`t mean to sound argumentive..but if i set down to do some recording, and find my self having to reboot my comp, the least of my worries are gonna be unplugging, then plugging my us-800 back in...

EDIT:...I just noticed that BOTH/recent bad reviews, are the very first & last post of theirs on this board..not that, that means anything I guess...but...it just seams kinda odd, no??
of course maybe they were having issue`s (obviously) and were searching the net, which lead them to this board...

anyway, again, I just don`t see having to unplug then plug the unit back in after rebooting the comp, as a "major PITA"...I`ll be darned if I`d pay roughly $100/$150 more for a unit of the same capability`s, just to have an on/off switch..LOL

ohh and a big +1 on jimmy69`s post #13..

Last edited:
Just picked up a US-800 a couple of weeks ago for my laptop and mobile recording. I like the interface, but I've had problems with the driver. Every once in while, the unit stops working requiring a reboot of the unit. Any thoughts?

Running on laptop with XP 32 bit 1.86 GHZ 2GB Ram. Using with Reaper.

Also have a US-1641 which works great on my desktop - never had a problem with the 1641 and I recommend that interface.

Just picked up a US-800 a couple of weeks ago for my laptop and mobile recording. I like the interface, but I've had problems with the driver. Every once in while, the unit stops working requiring a reboot of the unit. Any thoughts?

Running on laptop with XP 32 bit 1.86 GHZ 2GB Ram. Using with Reaper.

Also have a US-1641 which works great on my desktop - never had a problem with the 1641 and I recommend that interface.

have you ever tried the US-1641 on your lap top???
and visa versa..have you tried the US-800 on your desk top??

have you ever tried the US-1641 on your lap top???
and visa versa..have you tried the US-800 on your desk top??

Yes. No problems with the 1641 on the laptop used it on laptop for years. Actually the 800 fails more frequently on the desktop than the laptop.

Tried adjusting latency settings on the 800, but doesn't make any difference.

Back