Tascam US-800

By the way, just pulling out the devices from the USB port will not stop software from trying to reach it. That is a part of setup for recording that many miss. Just because your internet is disconnected, does not mean that 'automatic updates' will not run, trying to make a connection. These are part of the performance optimization steps that allow seamless audio recording. That is why it is hard to multitask one desktop or laptop to have great audio performance. Shit just runs in the background that makes audio freak out.

the popping noise happens when i play back music through it. i don't hear it when nothing is playing. i have not try to record anything yet... just playing back music. it's enough to be annoying.

i also have BOSS BR-800. that seems to work fine, no popping noise.

edit: i just tried again using same USB port where US800 was connected and same everything. no popping noise. you can really hear it with headphone.

Last edited:
By the way, just pulling out the devices from the USB port will not stop software from trying to reach it. That is a part of setup for recording that many miss. Just because your internet is disconnected, does not mean that 'automatic updates' will not run, trying to make a connection. These are part of the performance optimization steps that allow seamless audio recording. That is why it is hard to multitask one desktop or laptop to have great audio performance. Shit just runs in the background that makes audio freak out.

a big +1....

Just bought this thing. Don't know much about recording or these devices in general, but as far as I can tell I'm getting it set up properly. No issues so far on W7 64bit.

Using a quad core i5 2500k, 8gb RAM. System is extremely clean, built myself. I do get a pop when the driver is enabled when opening folders in windows, but not when actually using Cubase or recording.

I did try to playback the included Cubase demo, which is extensive with lots of tracks and effects. The playback jumps in and out, sometimes dropping whole tracks and then cutting back in. I assume this is because its reading off the Cubase disc. Didn't have the issue when playing back a recording of a single acoustic guitar track as a test (but obviously these aren't comparable).

I also noticed my latency is something like 11ms right now as reported by Cubase. I haven't messed with any settings yet regarding buffer or latency, and I don't know much about it, but I know this latency is very high. What can I do to make this lower? I'm a total Cubase and Tascam US800 noob,

the driver for this device is not compatible with guitar rig? it crashes when i open guitar rig and wouldn't reset until pc restart. also the device can overload? it crashes under unknown condition.

the driver for this device is not compatible with guitar rig? it crashes when i open guitar rig and wouldn't reset until pc restart. also the device can overload? it crashes under unknown condition.

Guitar rig, has nothing to do with an interface. Software is dealt with via your DAW. Crashing is an issue with your computer setup, or within your software. An interfaces driver typically only deals with input and output from software, not it's interaction and stability. As far as I know anyway.......

Guitar rig, has nothing to do with an interface. Software is dealt with via your DAW. Crashing is an issue with your computer setup, or within your software. An interfaces driver typically only deals with input and output from software, not it's interaction and stability. As far as I know anyway.......

sorry i was not very clear. I didn't run any DAW application yet. The only thing running was US-800 mixer and guitar rig3. I plugged the output of GR3 to input of US-800. When I opened GR3, the US-800 stopped working on the laptop until reboot. I couldn't play any sound files thrugh it. I can hear the guitar through GR3 so the output on US800 still works.

Anyway here's an update. I reinstall windows 7 64 on my PC then go right to install US800 driver and start playing some tunes. The popping issue I had was gone. It sounds pretty clean right down to 192 latency. I'll be adding and updating apps and drivers and see where it breaks.

howto delete a post? i post a question but found an answer soon after. sorry...

Last edited:
Hello people! This is my first post on this forum!!

I have a sweet Homestudio for doing demo's of my band and others too

Windows 7 x64 8GB Ram as my DAW
Krk RP 6 Studio monitor, Cme Midi Controller, Guitars, Bass, Mics, etc. etc.!
Running thru Cubase 5, etc.

And well, my Interface is a Tascam 800.

And I also have the huge memory leak problem. I have been using this interface 6 months already, had gotten the BSOD 4 times, and I had managed to understand that the main problem is directly related to the video card usage while having connected your interface.

If you start watching youtube, or any video really, it starts to eat all your memory and there is no way to fix that. I'm on a tight budget and in a far far away country (chile), so I'm not planning on changing it (I had a M-Audio Fast Track Pro before that burned after 1 year, weird shit, nobody knows how to repair it :( )

So basically what I do, is when I'm recording, I'm always checking the RAm Monitor Gadget that comes with windows 7, and i try not to run any videos, etc.

I know that sooner or later, if i work too long (and too many Inputs on cubase) it will crash, so when my memory is over 80% I just have to reboot PC + Interface (quite a pain in the ass, but it just takes 3-5 minutes depending the proyect) and keep working.

That's the only solution i have found over time. If anyone has another idea, or a driver update would be cool, because it seems that Tascam isn't going to finish the problem.

Other than that, the Interface is sweet, 6 inputs, cristal clear for me, with almost zero latency while playing with 6 inputs + MIDI!!! (2 guitars + bass +2 condenser mics + Electronic Drums on midi input, all while passing by on cubase with inputs) had worked for me perfect.

If it wasn't for the memory leak, i will recomend it 100%, but i wouldn't buy one again.

Hendrixspirit

I've heard that is a problem with W7 and the US800. Think that's what happened to me this past weekend when I was working a 4 minute video with a music track I had created in Reaper. I was setting the music volume envelope (manually) and the whole computer locked up on me and I lost all the editing I had done for the past 30 minutes. Turned off the US800 (I've got it on an outlet strip), and used the computer soundcard to finish the project with no further incidents. I only use the US800 for recording, or when I want to playback music for practice while I've got an instrument plugged in and am monitoring through headphones.

Yeah, I have heard of the memory leak thing with the US800, though I didn't test it long enough to see if I could find a solution. US 1800 drivers do not have this issue BTW.

Maybe try opening services.msc and disable Superfetch. This W7 program loads up ram with commonly used programs, so that they can be accessed more quickly. This could be one of the culprits that are eating up your resources. Disabling this may give you some more running time. Also, adding a video card with its own RAM will help the situation as well. :D

Back