TASCAM US-1800, possible to use more than one simultaneously?

supernova777

on the zzsounds website it claims this is possible.

I tried to double check this with the tascam site however the TASCAM US-1800 clearly omits the FAQs section which answers such questions on the pages for the US-1641 And the US-2000.

Anyone used two of these at the same time? 3?
if it is possible im wondering how many you can use if theres a limit imposed.. or?

please chime in if you have this interface!:guitar:

Nope. Sorry, not possible. Well, I have heard a Mac can do something with aggregate devices or something, but never have heard if it really works.

And yes, I do have one.

Sorry, I wish it were possible. :(

Please let me know if someone figures out how tho. :)

copied from the zzsounds page for tascam us-1800:

A Truly "Pro" Multichannel USB Interface
It's clear that Tascam has come up with one USB audio interface that truly belongs in a serious recording setup. With its no-nonsense all-black case, the US-1800 looks professional in your rack -- and at this price point, it's economical to stack multiple US-1800s, adding more I/O to build a studio with 16, 32, or 48 inputs. You're limited only by how many USB devices your computer can handle and the number of tracks your DAW software supports. The Tascam US-1800 gives you pro-level details like switches on the 1/4" line inputs to toggle between -10dBv or +4dBu depending on the gear you're plugging in. And of course, each of your eight preamps have red LEDs that blink on 2 dB before clipping, so you can back off the gain before your signal distorts. Dollar for dollar, the US-1800's most impressive spec is its low price. If you need the highest number of inputs for the least amount of money, this USB interface is the ideal balance. zZounds is an authorized dealer of Tascam products.

if they are referring to the aggregate device featuer of mac os x then thats pretty lame of them to make that claim based on that - they make no mention that this ability is os specific..

im trying to get in touch with tascam to confirm or deny. u would think that would be a prime selling point if it was true tho.. but the one thing that leaves me wondering is the fact that the tascam site disclaims this ability for both the 1641 and 2000 but not the 1800.. both the faqs on 1641 + 2000 make ref to each other not being able to work with multiple units but they omit the 1800 from this statement.. is there a reason??? does it actually work to stack two of them to get 32 inputs??

Kinda pisses me off...

I always find it funny; in a very bad way, how people claim: Oh it can only be done with a MAC.

Anyways...you can have as many as you want if your computer can handle them. If you have enough USB ports, if your DAW supports it and if you have enough processing power.

Depending on the drivers you are using you just have to select the different interfaces within the DAW's menus.

I for one use the ASIO4ALL...by some strange reason my laptop goes limp if i use the Alesis driver...even if I enlarge the buffer, but that adds latency and well...i don't think i have to explain.

I always find it funny; in a very bad way, how people claim: Oh it can only be done with a MAC.

Anyways...you can have as many as you want if your computer can handle them. If you have enough USB ports, if your DAW supports it and if you have enough processing power.

Depending on the drivers you are using you just have to select the different interfaces within the DAW's menus.

I for one use the ASIO4ALL...by some strange reason my laptop goes limp if i use the Alesis driver...even if I enlarge the buffer, but that adds latency and well...i don't think i have to explain.

Um, ok then....

As a user of Cubase, the 1800 in question, and close to the most powerful PC that can be built to date, I can say with complete confidence, that using two US 1800's at one time is completely impossible. For me anyway.

I would love to hear the magic way to make it happen though! :)

Don't you love noobs who come here and post inane answers with no facts to back them up? :rolleyes: Pretty simple check - go into the options in your DAW and select your input device. I guess if it gives you the ability to select more than one device, you can do it! :thumbs up:

Don't you love noobs who come here and post inane answers with no facts to back them up? :rolleyes: Pretty simple check - go into the options in your DAW and select your input device. I guess if it gives you the ability to select more than one device, you can do it! :thumbs up:

seems so simple! but what if you're daw changes what it says when you plug two in? so like if you have one plugged in then it doesn't give you the option to more than one, but if you plug two in then it does give you the option to use more than one? if that makes sense

seems so simple! but what if you're daw changes what it says when you plug two in? so like if you have one plugged in then it doesn't give you the option to more than one, but if you plug two in then it does give you the option to use more than one? if that makes sense

Here is what seems to be an obvious problem there; A DAW is using the interfaces ASIO Driver, to tell it what input is what. It does not determine itself, what the inputs are. A DAW cant possibly decide suddenly "hey there is another interface added, lets go ahead and duplicate the driver, and rename inputs 1-16 on the second one, 17-32".

Tascam does not have a 'second' driver for this, nor do they claim that it is possible. They obviously would, if it were a possibility, as I am sure they would sell a bunch more units. I know I would buy another myself.

:)

Ancient thread so who knows if anyone will ever see this, but i succesfully used 2 us1800s today with ableton live, though I see no reason why it wouldn't have worked with the daw of your choice.

Using Asio4all was super easy to set up and aggregated the two devices into one so that I had inputs 1-32 and outputs 1-8...glorious. Tested and working at 24bit/96khz at about 4 ms latency.

My setup is windows 7 home premium on an aging Asus laptop with 8 GB ram.

It is not only possible, but works well.

So i take it its not possible then???? lol
I think the misunderstanding might have arisen from the small paragraph on page 16. of the Tascam Manual where it has a heading "Simultaneous use with multiple clients" .Where it states .. "On Windows, this unit can simultaneously mix the outputs of multiple audio applications that use different driver protocols."
I would like to use my Roland TR-8's Audiocard for the individual tracks via USB and use the Tascam 1800....

can you explain how you set it up please... i have pretty much the same set up ... how do you get Ableton to see 2 devices?? It only allows you 1 soundcard... i would be very greatfull if you could tell me :D

Back