Tascam US-16x08 vs. Behringer UMC1820

powerval

Hello everybody,

I unwittingly made my Tascam US-1641 obsolete by updating to the latest Mac OS, so now I need a new audio interface.

8 preamps and a maximum cost of $300 are my two main needs, and I've narrowed it down to the Tascam US-16x08 or the Behringer UMC1820.

Is one of those significantly better than the other? Is the Behringer UMC1820 worth an extra $50 compared to the Tascam US-16x08?

Also any recs for other interfaces with 8 preamps for no more than $300 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

First, the Tascam gives you 8 XLRs and 2 line ins with pre-amps. If you look on the front, you can see 9&10 with gain control and is great for using in DIs. Tascam gives you 16 analog inputs, where the Behringer gives you 8, the other inputs require ADAT, which is good if you have an ADAT pre-amps. Otherwise you could use on the Tascam a mixer or some other input (keyboard) that is analog and get the level you need.

That is what I could see at a glance. If you already have an ADAT system, Behringer looks like the best way to go, otherwise, I think the Tascam might server you better. I have the earlier version of the Tascam and I have been pretty happy so far, drivers and etc. Behringer I have heard is much improving, but I don't know much about how it performs.

But do review the inputs and make sure you are really comparing it correctly.

Oh ya, 8 XLRs is what I meant by "preamps." And I don't even know what ADAT means, so I probably don't have one haha. I just need 8 regular ol' XLR inputs with phantom power to record me drumming the way I like. Looks like Tascam takes it!

As I've got one here in a rack, and typing on my MacBook - I wondered if running Sierra might work? It doesn't. I installed the Yosemite drivers just on the offchance - and while the mac sees the Tascam - silence. I guess this is what you expected. A real shame.

Back