Tascam FW-1884, Win7 64bit & Cubase 7 problems.

Weekend Pass

Hi everyone. I really need help here. I've been looking for a solution for a few days now but I can't find a definitive answer myself.
The short description of it is that I updated my computer, my OS and my software and now my FW-1884 loses sync and creates pops, even after dropping the Latency to 512 and the Sample Rate to 44.1KHz.
On my old system I recorded everything at 128 Latency, 96.0KHz without any problems, even though the computer was a dinosaur compared to my new system here.
From what I've found, it may be a Firewire hardware/software issue (and yes I am using the legacy drivers) so the next thing I'm going to try is a different Firewire card and hope for the best.
Here's some of the specs of my new system:
- Windows 7 Pro 64bit
- AMD FX 8150 8-core 3.60 GHz
- 8 gigs DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
- FW-1884 using 1.80 drivers
My old system was a dual core P4 2.4GHz under XP Pro SP2 with 4gigs DDR2 RAM 400MHz, so my way of thinking is that my new system should be able to kick-butt, but it seems like my ASIO driver is getting overworked somehow.
Any ideas would really be appreciated. I really like my Tascam FW-1884, but maybe it doesn't play nice with something I have here, or I'm missing a vital step or something.
Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. I really need help here. I've been looking for a solution for a few days now but I can't find a definitive answer myself.
The short description of it is that I updated my computer, my OS and my software and now my FW-1884 loses sync and creates pops, even after dropping the Latency to 512 and the Sample Rate to 44.1KHz.
On my old system I recorded everything at 128 Latency, 96.0KHz without any problems, even though the computer was a dinosaur compared to my new system here.
From what I've found, it may be a Firewire hardware/software issue (and yes I am using the legacy drivers) so the next thing I'm going to try is a different Firewire card and hope for the best.
Here's some of the specs of my new system:
- Windows 7 Pro 64bit
- AMD FX 8150 8-core 3.60 GHz
- 8 gigs DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
- FW-1884 using 1.80 drivers
My old system was a dual core P4 2.4GHz under XP Pro SP2 with 4gigs DDR2 RAM 400MHz, so my way of thinking is that my new system should be able to kick-butt, but it seems like my ASIO driver is getting overworked somehow.
Any ideas would really be appreciated. I really like my Tascam FW-1884, but maybe it doesn't play nice with something I have here, or I'm missing a vital step or something.
Thanks in advance.

Are there not drivers for Win7 64 bit? I bet that is your issue. Also, as stated, there seems to be a problem with Firewire and certain chip sets. I the Texas Instrument chip sets are the most trouble free.

Thanks for the response.

Seidy, the Firewire card I have right now is literally the cheapest one I could find, and that was a few years ago, so I really know that it's garbage. I'm going out later tonight to pick up a new one. And thanks for the links about latency, I'll check that out for sure.

DM60, yeah I'm using the drivers for Win7 64bit, the 1.80 release, although I've read a few places that older versions are a bit more stable for some people. Tonight I'll make sure to look for a TI chip set too.

I'll post results later.
Cheers folks

Well after installing a new Firewire card I still had the same problems, unfortunately. However, that latency program helped me isolate and get rid of the popping. Yay!
The big problem now lies in the fact that all my old projects were recorded at 96KHz, and now I can't play them back at the same sample rate, and I can't understand why. I can convert them to 44.1KHz of course, but I'd really like to know what's bogging down my computer so badly. My system should be able to chew through this with no problems.
Back to the drawing board :)

Well after installing a new Firewire card I still had the same problems, unfortunately. However, that latency program helped me isolate and get rid of the popping. Yay!
The big problem now lies in the fact that all my old projects were recorded at 96KHz, and now I can't play them back at the same sample rate, and I can't understand why. I can convert them to 44.1KHz of course, but I'd really like to know what's bogging down my computer so badly. My system should be able to chew through this with no problems.
Back to the drawing board :)

Remember the interface has a DSP chip and it does the conversion in/out. So, there could be some issue with the new speed and the older hardware. I know, sounds silly, but I once had software that was designed for a 286 chip, tried to run it a 486 and it ran so fast you couldn't use it.

128 is pretty low. I have had a hard time getting anything under 512 in general. 512 seems to have just a slight delay. So, you might want to increase that, at least for play back, kick it back down when you record if you need.

Back