Tascam DM 3200 vs Behringer x32

fuzzsniffvoyage

Tascam DM 3200 = 3,550.00 (w/meter bridge & fire wire card) +tax.

Behringer x32 Compact 2,000 + tax, or 2,800 for the full X32.

Or any other suggestions?

Who has experience with either or both of these? Been looking at reviews on the net, but they all seem to be from the companies or music stores. No real user reviews.

I use a pc and Sonar.

Ive had the X32 for a couple of years and love it - mostly used in venues, with the Macbook doing recording duties. It also spends some time in my studio talking to Cubase. I'm extremely pleased with it, and my other PA equipment is a large format Yamaha, and a 24 channel Soundcraft. The Yamaha normally lives in a 1400 seat venue, semi-permanently and the Soundcraft in my studio, but I can slot in the Behringer to either location without noticing any difference in the audio quality. Live, it's been able to do things more quickly, and most important, more repeatably than the other manual systems. In one song, for just one 5 second burst, the reverb needs to change, and we always had grief with using ordinary external effects, but the improvements to the Behringer mean you can use the scenes and snippets to step through this kind of stuff so easily. We will, eventually have the entire show on the go button, which isn't actually necessary, but does mean we can gradually introduce subtle changes - things that manually we'd just not bother with. Some people are talking advantage of being able to go for the Midas pre-amps, but the ones in the X32 are perfectly good enough for me. Behringer are constantly updating and adding features as people ask for them - I asked for a feature very early on, and the forum people said, nah - no need for that, not important etc etc - but then Behringer added it anyway, which I rather appreciated. Their backup and support people are very, very good, and I have to say I'm impressed. I have actually stopped doing the regular updates as the extra features being added are now almost 'individual' and I don't need them. It's been a decent product, and as it cost less than the Yamaha when new, and does a million things more, I've no real concern about the competition. I've noted loads of X32s, quite a few A&H and Soundcraft digitals, but no Tuscans coming through my venue yet. The only real annoyance is that it's very finicky about memory stick i/o speed for things like updates - for audio files it doesn't matter, but only a couple of my memory sticks can initiate a software update.

Back